Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rout Tool Feature In 1.2

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by newcarver View Post
    It does not come with the "standard" software. Unless your a beta tester, we have to wait until they charge us for it like the centerline text.
    Thanks, In the mean time how do you break down an image to assign different depth values?
    I put my machine back in the box 3 weeks ago until I figure out how to properly ready an image of a MKV Diving Helmet for carving. I've been in the books learning photoshop and coreldraw. I know that JPEG images are not the best to use and to use either GIF or PNG images at no less than 300dpi for a good carve. I convert the images into 8-bit grey scale and use the blur feature and I know that light and dark areas will carve at different depths. However, to this point I am unable to produce anything that shows a smooth carved image in the design software. I was hoping that was what the rout tool would help me accomplish. The bottom line is the machine works great and does exactly what I tell it to do and it is limited only by how inadequate the operator is!!!!!

Robin,

For carving the ppi resolution of your image does not have to be set to 300ppi (pixels per inch), that's a setting for best printing (laser/inkjet, etc.). Although 300ppi won't do any harm except for increasing the size of your image file (thus reduce your storage space on your Flash Card), you can set the ppi value to as low as 126ppi from what I understand is the best carving carving resolution. This would be geared to the 3d movement of the bit travel during the carving.

The factor, unless your machine is having problems, for making smooth carvings, is ALWAYS use the BEST carving option, and what wood you use to carve in. First try some of the tried and true patterns (Library) and something like maple to carve and compare that with the results you have gotten to date. Be sure your bit is solidly in the QC holder with no wobble, etc. as well, of course.

Bob
    Last edited by BobHill; 07-04-2007 at 09:32 AM.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BobHill View Post
    Robin,

For carving the ppi resolution of your image does not have to be set to 300ppi (pixels per inch), that's a setting for best printing (laser/inkjet, etc.). Although 300ppi won't do any harm except for increasing the size of your image file (thus reduce your storage space on your Flash Card), you can set the ppi value to as low as 126ppi from what I understand is the best carving carving resolution. This would be geared to the 3d movement of the bit travel during the carving.

The factor, unless your machine is having problems, for making smooth carvings, is ALWAYS use the BEST carving option, and what wood you use to carve in. First try some of the tried and true patterns (Library) and something like maple to carve and compare that with the results you have gotten to date. Be sure your bit is solidly in the QC holder with no wobble, etc. as well, of course.

Bob
    Thanks Bob, I'll take your advice and put it into action. I see your located in Tampa. I'm a Bradenton boy myself used to drive up to Tampa in high school when we were up to no good. I haven't been there since the Bucs were wearing orange. I'm in the Navy and have been stationed overseas for 15 of my 19 years of service, I probably wouldn't even recognize the place anymore.

Hi Robin,

If you haven't been to Tampa since the orange Bruce Bucs logo, you definitely won't recognize even the Bucs stadium (now called Raymond James stadium, of course) Although I do have a photo which shows both the old Sombrero and the new stadium before they tore the Sombrero down, the new stadium is fantastic, particularly since it has sold out each year since it's been built to the games are always shown locally if you don't get to go to the games. Tampa is no longer a sleepy little "berg" (if you could ever call it that).

As for using PhotoShop to establish carving depths, just remember that depth is established by it's relative tones of contrast for curves, and don't forget that INVERSE PATTERN will often make your photo suddenly carve the way you'd like to see it.

Bob

Default And remember to turn off color correction...

...under "Color Settings" in Photoshop, or the cutting depth may be close-to-meaningless.

DCC

Once done, and just prior to saving to a PNG just changing the image to an 8bit Shades of Grey color mode works well and better than letting Designer do it. Particularly since you can then determine a better ratio of the tones of grey according to how you wish the pattern to carve. I personally will to the conversion to shades of grey, then make it back into an RGB (only showing the shades of grey) if there is any masking to be done to change tones better to less heavy contrasting, if necessary.
    Bob

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cycollins View Post
    ...under "Color Settings" in Photoshop, or the cutting depth may be close-to-meaningless.

DCC
    Good info, Thank you!
    Robin

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BobHill View Post
    Once done, and just prior to saving to a PNG just changing the image to an 8bit Shades of Grey color mode works well and better than letting Designer do it. Particularly since you can then determine a better ratio of the tones of grey according to how you wish the pattern to carve. I personally will to the conversion to shades of grey, then make it back into an RGB (only showing the shades of grey) if there is any masking to be done to change tones better to less heavy contrasting, if necessary.
    Bob
    I appreciate the advice..... I'm slowy but surely lowering the learning curve. Thanks,
    Robin

Like most things in this "new" techie world, Robin, the learning process never stops.

Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12