Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with building sled

Default Help with building sled

Does the object you scan have to be less than the height of the side rails on the sled?

I just got my CC today and I want to scan a model that is approx. 3.5" high. I want to scan only one side of this model which would extend above the sides of the sled made from the CW plans. Can I make the side rails any height up to 5"?

Any help appreciated,

Gary

Angry Probe depth 1" only

Quote Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    Does the object you scan have to be less than the height of the side rails on the sled?

I just got my CC today and I want to scan a model that is approx. 3.5" high. I want to scan only one side of this model which would extend above the sides of the sled made from the CW plans. Can I make the side rails any height up to 5"?

Any help appreciated,

Gary
    Gary,
    You can only scan objects 1" high, or put another way the probe is only made to scan 1" or less in height. I suppose you could only scan the top 1" but, sorry that's it.
    My worst day since being retired is still better than my best day when I had to work.

Donboy, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I know you can only scan 1" and that will handle what I want to do but unless I make the rails higher than the ones in the CW plans the model will stick up above the rails. Do you know if I can do it that way or make the side rails say 3.5"?

Thanks for your help,

Gary

That should work ok... I just make sure the side rails are higher than scan project.

LG

Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    That should work ok... I just make sure the side rails are higher than scan project.

LG
    Thanks LG. So, wouldn't it be better to go ahead and make the side rails 5"? Then you should be able to scan any project as long as it wasn't more than 5" or am I wrong about this?

Thanks for your help,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post

LG

OK, thanks for the help. I will build the sled tomorrow with 5" rails and do some scanning. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Gary

I have a cutting sled thats 5" tall and it works fine overall, but 4.75 is a little beter as you will not need to crank the arm past the stop.

a good size for me is about 2.5" tall I can add plywood to
    raise the level when needed.

LG

Quote Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    Donboy, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I know you can only scan 1" and that will handle what I want to do but unless I make the rails higher than the ones in the CW plans the model will stick up above the rails. Do you know if I can do it that way or make the side rails say 3.5"?

Thanks for your help,

Gary
    Hello Gary,

The Probe manual states the following...

"The dimensions of the sled can vary but the maximum width is 14.5” and
    the maximum depth is 2-1/4” from the mounting surface to the top of the
    rails."

However, if you're "brave" enough to try scanning on a sled with rails exceeding the factory recommended specs, please let us know how it works out for you!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

9. Default

When I got my probe and scrambled to make a sled so I could test it, I mistakenly remembered the max height at 2 1/2 inches. It worked just fine but the probe tip would only go down 2 1/4 inches staying 1/4 inch above the sled bottom. So the 2 1/4 inches is the maximum Z height the probe will move. I don't know for sure a higher sled would do any damage, but any higher than 2 1/4 and you won't be able to reach the bottom...

Quote Originally Posted by BearlyRich View Post
    When I got my probe and scrambled to make a sled so I could test it, I mistakenly remembered the max height at 2 1/2 inches. It worked just fine but the probe tip would only go down 2 1/4 inches staying 1/4 inch above the sled bottom. So the 2 1/4 inches is the maximum Z height the probe will move. I don't know for sure a higher sled would do any damage, but any higher than 2 1/4 and you won't be able to reach the bottom...
    Yes, I am sure you are correct. But the purpose of having the taller side rails is to facilitate larger objects that you want to scan. As an example, suppose you have a clock that is 4" from the face to it's back and you want to scan the face of it. You are going down less than 1" to scan just the face if you have side rails that are 4.25" high. Probably a bad example but I hope I explained it well enough.

Gary

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast