Thread: Now that doesn't sound right

Default Now that doesn't sound right

She's Headed South West Again

Time for another trip back home, I called CW talked to TC this afternoon, it’s one of those hip-ups he says they rather take care of back at CW. -- In the middle of a one hour carving the machine started sounding like a couple of nickels rattling around in an empty coffee can. I checked under the hood and found a bright shinny round thingamabob sticking out of the QC chuck. Figured that can be good, and took a hold of the bit, It and the holder wobbled all over the place. I checked the flex-shaft, the Z truck, the Chuck, and the bit adapter with bit. None were hot, only warm to the touch. The first half of the carving and lettering were fine crisp and clean, but the few passes the carving bit made after the noise started and before I stopped the machine looked like shredded wheat. So no excess oil or heat and no visible ware, --- the part simply failed. I’m just passing this info along to who ever it may help in the future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC05642.JPG   DSC05647.JPG  
    Last edited by Kenm810; 06-27-2007 at 07:20 PM.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Default I don't have one of those.

Interesting. I don't have one of those rings that failed on you. No wonder my chuck has a tendency to unscrew itself if I'm not careful when removing bits. That, by the way, was the cause of some earlier posts I had on "Troubleshooting" about wobbly and off-angle insertions of the cutting bit into wood. The chuck was mostly-unscrewed. I just tightened it up (by screwing it up tight, while placing an appropriately-sized allen wrench into the place where the flex shaft is inserted to hold things fixed). My only comment would be that one can function without this part. It's the only way I have been functioning all this time. However, it should be noted that my through-put is VERY low. I tend to screw around and experiment a bit, but I have not tried to create dozens of signs or similar output as others have.

Cycollins

Default Correction!!

I just wasn't looking carefully enough. I do have one of those rings (the reason for the recurring problem with the chuck unscrewing itself is because there was no loc-tite on the threads). I just never noticed it. When it is in place, it is tucked up under a part of the spindle assembly just above where the QuickRelease attaches.

cycollins