Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: scanning a round, or turned object?

Default Herb, It can scan way better then that

Herb,
    I would have to agree the results there are far less then they should be. When scanning you will get a little bit that needs to be cleaned up but a non-scientific gues would be that your scanner is only working about half as good as it should. If I were in your position I may consider sending it back for exchange if a little bit of silicone will not fix the problem.

Tom
    If you think I am talking about you then you are either correct or guilty

Herb,

So sorry to see that you are having problems with your probe.

What is the surface made of (for the antlers)? Is the surface creating friction with the tip so that the probe cannot track along smoothly across it?

My guess is either the probe is defective (or something in the wiring of the machine transferring the data is bad), or the item itself is causing the probe to "glitch".

Please let us know when you find out what the problem was.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I gave CW a call and the tech was pretty new. He had to keep asking someone my questions. He had me open the sensor option and the probe would say status closed and when you would move the probe it would switch between closed(not touched) and open when you would move it. Then it would stick in the open state once in awhile. He said that should not be a problem. Someone suggested to level the roller trays on the front and back.
    I checked them with a straight edge and they do need adjusted. I still think it is the sticking probe. I will run tomorrow and try some grease and adjust the rollers and see what happens.
    Thanks
    Herb

Quote Originally Posted by HerbO View Post
    I checked them with a straight edge and they do need adjusted. I still think it is the sticking probe. I will run tomorrow and try some grease and adjust the rollers and see what happens.
    Thanks
    Herb
    Hello Herb,

If your scanning sled is 36" or less, try lowering the outfeed panels so that the sled doesn't ride along the rollers at all. For a short length (less than 36"), I find that the outfeed rollers are not necessary and you eliminate all possibility of "lift and fall" of your sled and/or wood.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Both of the outfeed rollers are down about an 1/8". The sled is 36"
    My big question is when your probe is straight and not pushed the status registers closed. When I push mine in the different directions it shows open then let go it registers closed again. Sometimes when I let go the status stays open. Not sure if that is sticking part giving me the problems.
    Thanks
    Herb

Herbo,
    It sure sounds like a problem to me. The way the probe works is simply moving till it opens, then it backs away till it is closed, makes a move and repeats... If it isnt giving you a crisp open and close when you test it, it sure doesnt sound like it could give you an accurate scan.

my 2 cents...

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Quote Originally Posted by HerbO View Post
    Both of the outfeed rollers are down about an 1/8". The sled is 36"
    My big question is when your probe is straight and not pushed the status registers closed. When I push mine in the different directions it shows open then let go it registers closed again. Sometimes when I let go the status stays open. Not sure if that is sticking part giving me the problems.
    Thanks
    Herb
    Hello Herb,

That does sound like it could be a problem alright. You may want to call CW again and see what a Tech advises.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

My nephews wedding is today and in between the wedding and reception I going to try to get some grease at the auto parts store. One thing I noticed when I had the probe apart was the spring at the bottom was bent over. I straighten it a little(afraid to break it) but I am thinking the square nut on the buttom of the probe might be sticking in the spring since it is not centered proberly. Just another thought.
    When I called yesterday the new tech said he ask an engineer and should not make a difference. After I explained my problem twice about the noise in the scan he ask me to turn the machine on so he could hear it.

LOL... did you tell him he might have to turn up the volume a little?...

Funny!

Also, I dont know if you caught this or not, but the grease you need is dielectric grease meant for electrical connections.

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Hi Herb,

Like Ron just mentioned, dielectric grease for electrical connections.
    I picked mine up at the local True Value hardware store.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sil lube.jpg  
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast