Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: AL's Gloat

Default AL's Gloat

I am starting a post of my projects and the goal is to combine Carving with Laser Engraving, Sublimation, Woodworking, and Color Laser Toner Transfer to make project that hopefully make money.

The project for today was cutting up $700.00 in wood to start making Quilt Racks for a show the end of the month. Thanks to Michael and others, I have some very impressive carving's to put on the quilt sides.

I will make one standard size and put different carvings and custom carvings as requested. The cross pieces will have a shouldered tendon and a tapered pin. They can mix and match to get the sides they like and pick the length of cross pieces to get what they want.

I tried cutting the outline but it takes too long. I cut a plexi pattern and will mount blocks to go in the square holes and run them over my router table with a cut out bit.

Here is the first installment.

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 07-01-2007 at 08:55 PM.

Thumbs up

Looks like your, jumping in with both feet,
    it sure sounds and looks like you've got all the right tools
    and know how the make a lot quilters happy

Wishing you the best of luck
    and lots of sales
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Default The File

Thanks Ken

Here is the cut out file for anyone to use. I am using 1.25 clear baluster and will cut a tendon and drill a hole for a tapered dowel. The file board size is set up for #2 Pine 1 x 12 (.83 x 11.25).

I was stopping the cut path 90% through and breaking off the square plug to prevent pinching. Now I blow air into the cut from the top clearing the sawdust out and that is easier, no more broken blocks.

I tried carve area but did not like the taper.

AL
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 06-09-2007 at 08:29 PM.

Default How I designed the outline

The most fun in the design of the quilt rack was making the outline.

I started by setting my grid to display, then checked the blocks to center the grid, snap to grid, and changed the grid size to 1 inch.

Selected the line, curve and connect tools and starting in one corner just played around until I had something unique and but not too busy.

Remember to connect each line segment as you draw so the cut path will work, you will see the node glow red before being connected.

Even used cut path to cut the tendon square. I was stopping the cut 90% through the cut and popping the square out as I had one explode when it snagged. Unattended the chips could have stalled the axis under a roller. I found a better way was just to blow air into the cut, keeping it clean.

The Carve Region left a tapered square hole. It would be nice if they added a square or rectangular hole option that drilled like the drill function using the cutting bit to carve region like the drill function.

AL

How about doing a carve region and useing the straight 1/8" cutting bit.
    If it's not smooth around the edge then add a cutpath.
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Default Never tried it.

I had thought about that but was concerned the side pressure from the very fast wood pecker it does would snap the bit. I like the way it drills holes, wish it could do square.

Anyone tried it?

Just had a thought and went off to designer to try it... Made 3 squares with cut path, all slightly bigger, and put them on top of each other.... I wonder what order it would carve in?

AL

Al
    I think it will carve the largest first,thats what it did when I drilled pocket screw holes and then countersunk on top of the hole. good luck and just try it ,if it don't work out then you have another piece of kindlin for the fireplace.

later Daniel
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Default Making progress

I made progress today. Yesterday I banged together a router table to do the cut outs. Tried a 1/4 inch spiral bit and guide bushing but that didn't work too well, the brass bushing didn't hold up and bent. It caught a knot and slammed, chewing the side of the bushing.

Went with a 1/2 inch bit and the heaviest brass guide bushing sanded down to size to fit the 1/4 inch pattern.

That went well but I will get some 1/2 inch down spiral so it spits the chips out the top. Hopefully it won't push the pattern up. Did 10 sets today until tonight I cut into my pattern. So I will make another in the morning.

AL

On a side note... I have cut about 30 pieces so far and the cross piece holes have fit my template for 20 pieces. I cut one tonight and did not engage the red lock handle and when I went to cut it out the lower single hole is 1/2 inch long and wouldn't fit on my pattern. I always use it.

So in this case, it made a difference. No knots of imperfections on the brass roller wood track.

Default The best laid plans of mice and men.....

Blew off the craft show in the morning.... Just not ready... This one man show takes time to make stuff... Cut another template and made a jig to cut the shoulders on the cross pieces. Made some tapered dowels and they worked great. There will be another craft show in September. My focus is a 2 day Quilt show in 2 weeks.

Must baby sit the cutting of the blocks, they jump out or fall down. Could cause a axis error.

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 06-15-2007 at 09:40 PM.

Default Visitor to the shop...

I was working on my Quilt Racks and ran to the back storage room and on the Laser Exhaust pipes I see a visitor to the shop....

He was looking for lunch.....

AL

He fell a short time later and headed under the shop to rest. Saw him later under the shop.
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 06-17-2007 at 08:05 PM.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast