Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your expertise??

i am just a old disabled vet who loves shape wood clocks large and small
    foks love my bible boxs

Quote Originally Posted by hray View Post
    i am just a old disabled vet who loves shape wood clocks large and small
    foks love my bible boxs
    Hello hray,

Do you have any pics you could post of your Bible boxes and clocks you made? We would love to see your work!
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 06-08-2007 at 08:29 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Several of the first posts intimidated me so I shied away.

I was small town boy that learned about tools early from my Dad. Carpenter while in high school and then an ironworker/marriage/family. Worked myself up the various ladders to “Business Partner” and City Councilman.
    On my thirteenth wedding anniversary (at 33), I was struck on the head by a brick (one of 50 or so from the twelfth floor). The brain injury resulted in the loss of use of my legs and left arm (most everything else was also affected, I still miss playing the guitar and being able to sing well – small stuff). While adjusting to my “new” life and trying to maintain my family, I got a Ph.D. in psychology. I worked in that field for awhile but didn’t like it, I like to create things – designed and built several homes for myself over the years.
    I took some Computer Science in college and liked it, so I taught myself some other languages and ended up with a County government where I plan to retire next year at 70 (after 23 years of writing/maintaining programs). Note - Semi-retired, went back three days/week.
    I have always had a shop that I keep too messy; metal and wood tools in a basement shop of about 900 square feet. I feel pretty good about my abilities to work iron and most wood, carving is new to me.

As others have stated, I’ve been around a little bit, and I still consider myself a Craftsman.

Ken
    Last edited by DocWheeler; 03-14-2010 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Added word for clarity and work activity

Default What an inspiration!

Quote Originally Posted by DocWheeler View Post
    Several of the first posts intimidated me so I shied away.
    What an amazing story... You have got to be kidding about being intimidated?... Beyond the talented work you have shown, your story inspires me.

Personally, I just feel a bond with this incredible group, and am sitting here picturing where everyone came from, and what got them to the point of meeting here. Ok, maybe im a little wierd, but this is really cool stuff to me. I really like what is getting posted !...

Keep it going, Let us get to know you...

By the way, if you dont think anyone is interested, why has this been viewed 292 times in less than a day???

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

sorry doc that I didn't get back to you sooner,will talk about that later.I too am in a wheelchair,as a para-medic I went down some stairs and 1 bad operation latter here I am.I lost my right hand back in 68,ind.accident.grew up with my dad doing woodworking projects.love the smell of fresh wood.not so much red oak.bought the CC in jan.and have not looked back.This is one of the nicest group of people to boot,so willing to help.

Default I feel like the youngster

All this time I have been reading these postings thinking I was going to be one or the old ones of the group and I don't mean that disrespectfully hats off to all of you.
    My story doesn't even compare to all the accomplishments you have all achieved. But there is one thing that I am still proud of today and that is my first wife left me with 3 young children 17 years ago to go sailing with the Captain and I raised all 3 by myself. I now have a new wife and daughter that is 10 and life is great with them and the other 3 love my new wife and daughter.
    Now for my expertise I only have one and that is I am considered a master tube bender. Yeh I know how to bend a tube steel, stainless copper and brass all shapes and sizes from .187 to 5.00". I am currently employed as a proto type and special projects person I also design and build press dies and weld fixtures. The go to guy of the shop so to speak.
    My grandfather who I never met he was killed in a industrial accident was a carpenter wood carver so I think that is where my interest in wood comes in. Course he used hand tools and smarts and I use a CC and power tools to my work.
    I enjoy creating things out of iron as well as wood and try and incorporate both in anything I build I even know how to hammer out a rose out of iron. Not quite like the old blacksmiths but something easier and more practical,
    Well I have bored you long enough now it is someone elses turn

Well, I've done several diffrent things over the years. I started out with an education in Industrial Electronics (interestingly enough, I grew up in the same area as the OP, Ron, and when to school just down the road from him). I spent abut 10 years working on copiers, printers, computers etc, worked my way up from tech to service manager and got super bored.

I then got into industrial automation and built, worked on and designed maintenance programs for automated welding and cutting equipement : custom stuff, robots, seamers, plasma/oxy fuel cutting tables, etc. It was a great line of work, got to travel around Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Kansas and meet a lot of grerat, hard-working people, not to mention I got to build stuff with PLC's, robots, weld controllers and 1200A welding power supplies . The company I worked for was being sold and it seemed like a good time to choose what I was going to do next rather than hang around and get the shaft (and it turned out to be a good choice).

I wanted to get back into component level electronics so I went to work for a small local electronics manufacturer. That turned out OK, but I wound up being more of an manufacturing engineer, put in an SMT line, designed test fixtures, etc. So, now (last five years) I work for the University of Missouri - Rolla, as a research engineer. I design and build test aperatus for research projects, teach the lab sections of several classes involving machining, CNC, PLC's, etc. I've also been working on a bachlors degree for the last few years (which would have been a lot easier to do 20 years ago ).

I got my love of woodworking, metalworking and trying to fix anything electrical and/or mechanical from my Dad (and Grandad). My wife has a knack of keeping me busy learnign more and more about woodworking by buying old stuff and sayingsomething like, 'Hey, I bought this old chimny cupboard can you turn it into a wardrobe?'. The CompuCarve/CarveWright was a perfect fit for me as it merged all my main interest into one machine.

I have greatly enjoyed reading this thread it's very interesting to get to know the folks we talk to on here everyday.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Default expertise

Well, here we go, I have been in the foundry since the tender age of 13, it will be 40 years this monday. I was tought by my father and grandfather. We sold the company in 1982 and i got it back in 92. I got into woodworking buy seening the patterns made buy the local pattern makers. In 2008 i will be master of the local masonic lodge, Of all the things i have tried i find woodworking the best way to blow of stress. I have a pattern here for a crankcase that fits 1907 to 1920 rolls royce silver gost. It is the finest peice of woodwork i have ever seen, [ it came from england the only one in the world ] . Buy the way most of my work gets cast in aluminum. cajunpen, i started makeing fine writing tools as well, i would like to see your website.The fourm is great THANKS MICHAEL

Not an expert in anything, true jack-of-all-trades:

Cuban Linguist
    Vehicle Mechanic
    Cook
    Computer Programming Student (did not complete)
    Telephone Customer Service for Gas and Electric Utilities
    Service Writer
    Associate Computer Programmer
    Vehicle Service Dispatcher
    Vehicle Mechanic (again)
    Calendar Salesman
    Electronic Engineering Student (did not complete)
    Self-taught Woodsmith
    CNC Programmer/Carver (CW-style)
    Model Railroader

Geez, am I qualified to even read these forums?!?!
    Last edited by HandTurnedMaple; 06-08-2007 at 08:43 PM.
    For premade quality patterns visit Vector Arts 3D.

"Belief has never been a prerequisite of truth." - me

Wow, you people are all very accomplished in your lives. Very impressive.

I'm afraid I don't have such a list of accomplishments to present. I spent my life married...now widowed, raising 5 wonderful children and supporting my husband in his various enterprises...ranching, horseshoeing, contract mail route, plus a million other things.

I now have 7 fantastic grandchildren to spoil utterly rotten and time to do some things I want to do.

I have always had a creative streak, but never the time or resources to do anything about it. The CW is the perfect outlet and learning Corel is a bonus I love. I stumble and stutter a lot, but I am making progress, thanks to the help of many on this board, so I am happy.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast