Thread: Question on carving a long board

Default Question on carving a long board

I have a customer who wants a carved piece for his fireplace mantel when I get my machine back.It will be 8ft.long,4 inches wide and three quarters thick and will be cut out of Popular.My question is has anyone carved on a board this long and if so any advise you could give to help will be appreciated.I am fairly new using this machine,(since January) so dont have much experiance.Have mostly been scroll sawing picture portraits.. I also ordered the full set of bits in Jan. and was told the other day they are still on backorder.

Thanks for any advice.

Old Cop

From one old cop to another! I have carved signs 4ft long without any problems. The thing is be 4ft or 8ft you must have enough support to keep it even. You can use roller stands or if you have a big enough bench set up platform table.

Use a long enough board or plywood and make a mini table the same height as the CC table. But for the front of the CC you will need roller stands. Or a bench 16 feet long!

Bottom line I believe it is very possible with the correct amount of support. If you don't have any roller stands or a big enough bench. Try setting up saw horses for the project. If you need to buy all this keep in mind the over cost to make this project verses the price you will charge. On the other hand you will be set for the next 8ft project!

Hope that helped?

Rick

PS: through www.sears.com in tools search type 21754 and it takes you to the CC page and you can order single bits with adapters.

RC is right lots of support for the board also the board should be as flat as possible. I think in the weight of a board will also come into play at some point in disighing a project but that board should be okay,

Wink To Old Cop

Ive carved out 8'X11" White Perma Board (plastic) For Entrance (house # and address)to a new home Presently building. No Problem used rollers (4) as it was permaboard and the stuff is really flexible.bends easy easier as it get hot . you shouldnt have any problems as long as board is supported and you have plenty of time . My carve took apx 3 Hrs on best.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I've carved a 7' 6" x14" board out of cherry, as everyone has said, make sure you support the ends of the board with some type of roller stands.

Bob

Default 8 foot long board.

Really appreciate all the advice and help.Will try it as soon as I get my machine back.I will let you know how it comes out. Thanks again.
    Will also check the Sears tool site.

Old Cop

Default Winging it...

I have done 2 longer boards and really did not have a good roller stand setup, just winging it. When the board measured and got to the end I was holding the weight up on the other end.

I think the limiting factor is weight. I was toying with the idea of V Carving with Centerline Text Landscaping Company Wooden Side boards but most dump trucks use oak, very heavy oak..... I will leave that one for the Shop Bot guys.

The blue board is Trex type plastic decking covered in blue tape so the board sensor see's it.
    AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 07-01-2007 at 08:55 PM.