Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Text (again?)

Default Small Text (again?)

Small text discussion time, again....... anybody having any decent results with text in the 1" - 1-1/4" high 1/2"-3/4" wide range. Even using a thin font like modern (not bold) and only going .035 - .062 deep, it still comes out too wide, causing too many chips where they are cles together, or in certain letters like a small "e" or any letters with little lines. Also, Designer shows render to be a lot cleaner than finished result. Machine seems to hiccup or something on some patrs of a letter, causing a dimple or erratic carving - little jog outside of the lines kind of thing. Tried bit optimization off, high, etc. Even tried to cheat and used a 60 degree vbit when it asked for the 1/16 carving bit, still not great. Any tips? Pattern carving otherwise is pretty good. Carving plaques in the 8"w x 10"l size and I need smallish text to fit more than 1 or 2 words on the project. All else fails, if someone could post some centerline fonts in different styles, along with small (not Caps) versions. There is some Edwardian posted, that doesn't really carve well in small sizes. Oh well............time to make more sawdust.

I've had the same results. Understand that the carving bit is tapered. If you have a small font that is raised, the tapered part of the bit will "eat" into to lettering. A couple of ways to avoid this it to keep the raised lettering to a minimum. The higher the letters, the more problems you'll likely encounter.

If you need the letters to be high, use a paint program (Corel, Photoshop, etc) and add a graduated contour. This will create a tapered edge on the lettering which will keep the bit away from the lettering.

Sample1 show a simple box that is carved at .25, but the lettering is set at .325.

SampleM is the letter "M" that I added a graduated contour. You can see in the screenprint of SampleM2 how that technique bevels the edge of the letters.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sample1.JPG   SampleM.JPG   SampleM2.JPG  
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    67.34% of all statistics are made up.
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Default Small text

Oops...didn't mention in the post - I was talking about carved text, not raised text. I've used the contour feature in Corel, but for small text, it still is a pain. Recessed text doesn't need as much space between letters, so you can get more text in a smaller area.

First, I must give a BIG THANK YOU to Greybeard. He was quite generous with his time in converting some text to centerline for me. And believe me, it takes significant time in doing one letter at a time. I'm am happy to share. I have a couple of others if interested, but they are similar to these. I've also included the Edwardian posted previously.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    67.34% of all statistics are made up.
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Default Small lettering eating my lunch!

I have a problem carving small lettering. The lettering is built into designs. I have used Photoshop to erase the wording and added my own. Still no joy. I have added "Text" to the file after uploading the picture but still, have problems with the text. I have tried all settings of bit optimizing and still no joy. I am carving with a 1/32" bit to help with the size. I am running out of time. I leave for Washington DC Saturday and really wanted to take a completed plaque to my son. Any ideas out there. I have attached a copy of what I am carving with the latest settings.VMFA-251.mpc. The lettering is in the outfit's patch.
    Retired Marine w/ a family of Marines
    MJR Weapons, LLC
    Been with the same woman for 50+ years.
    Pray for our service men and women - know they are keeping watch...

Do you have centerline & conforming? This begs for that fine of detail. I am not sure if it is just how it opened on mine, but the keyhole goes all the way through the board.

I would try the MODERN font and use outline text mode. It will go around the text. But here is the trick. Assign the 1/4 inch round nose bit but install the V60. I use this modern font to make 2 inch high text that looks like the plastic template hand router version. In a mini text version you might find it will work for you.

The large text is Modern with a 3/8 end mill cutter. As you scale the text up you use a bigger end mill and smaller like you are wanting, a smaller bit. Trial and error to test.

Just another WAG. Wild AL Guess.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Embedded1521384823869.png  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

The text is also creating tall spikes, rotate the board and you will see the peaks and valleys. It would certainly chip. In the graphic, make the lettering just a slightly different color than the ribbon before importing it. Like a dark and medium gray. using too dramatic a difference in gray shades will cause those peaks.

My bad. I changed board thickness and forgot about the keyhole.
    Retired Marine w/ a family of Marines
    MJR Weapons, LLC
    Been with the same woman for 50+ years.
    Pray for our service men and women - know they are keeping watch...

Instead of raised text (raster) try centerline with the Conform box checked, a 60 degree bit, and Arial Bold font. Not the same but legible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Small Font.png  
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast