Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compucarve and Sears

Default Compucarve and Sears

I have been following this forum for some time now. I'm convinced that this little three axis cnc would be a welcome addition to my shop.

It appears to me that the problems are being resolved and the positive feedback is now carrying some weight.

I went to Sears to purchase a unit and, during the initial conversation, some questions came up.

1. There is no extended warranty
    2. They, Sears, do the repairs
    3. And the only reported problems have come from those who try to use the router in a "Commercial Enviroment"

So I regrouped and just want to hear from you guys that it ain't so.

I apologize if this rehashes questions answered earlier, I just want some definitive feedback so I can make a purchaising decision.

I'm an experienced Woodworker, Computer Technicin with over 20 years experience in Machine Tool and CNC.

I thank you in advance for your feedback.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by fstrumpf View Post
    2. They, Sears, do the repairs
    3. And the only reported problems have come from those who try to use the router in a "Commercial Enviroment"

Fred
    Fred,

Welcome to the group. Here's the answers to your questions to the best of my knowledge:

1. There are mixed reports on this but I believe the consensus is that it is true.

2. As far as I know this is false. CarveWright does the repairs if needed. Sears will eventually do them but they are not trained at this time.

3. False. Many "problems" that have been reported are due to user error. Some that have been mentioned on this forum are actual defects in parts of the machine that required repair and some others have been remedied by firmware updates. Commercial or not doesn't seem to be relevant to who has the problem.
    Charles M

The last I knew the machine can't tell the difference between hobby and commercial usage. About the real difference between the two is how often you use the machine and for how long per use (cutting multiple projects on a single piece of wood like I tended to do). But it is warrantied for 200 hours (or one year), regardless if it takes 1 month to reach that time or 6 months.

But the number of new people with severe complaints seems to have slowed down measurably, and that is a good thing.
    For premade quality patterns visit Vector Arts 3D.

"Belief has never been a prerequisite of truth." - me

I aquired my machine end of February, and have not experienced any major problems. The few minor ones I was able to fix without having to call CW.

But the number of new people with severe complaints seems to have slowed down measurably, and that is a good thing.
    I've noticed this also

If you go into a different Sears store, you'll probably get three different answers from the ones you got. The most accurate answers will come from here

I'm an experienced Woodworker, Computer Technicin with over 20 years experience in Machine Tool and CNC.
    Go buy one!

Tommy
    Last edited by Reset; 05-11-2007 at 11:29 AM.
    OVER 800 FREE CARVING PATTERNS,PROJECTS & more!
    CompuCarveWright.com

¨...make the best tool in your shop even better!¨
    Visit the CompuCarveWright.com SUPERSTORE!
    Great Patterns, Great Prices! And a CHOICE of formats...PTN, MPW, PNG!
    Want to sell your own patterns in our store...a limited number of applicants are being accepted. Contact us today...
    CompuCarveWright.com is not affiliated, associated, or endorsed by LHR Technologies or Sears Holdings...

Hi Fred, in answer to your questions in order.

True there is not one offered through Sears some folks purchased what 'on the surface' appears to be one but as of yet to the best of my knowledge none of those individuals have posted a 'successful' follow through using it.

2. They, Sears, do the repairs- that is incorrect, to date only LHR does the repairs.

This is also incorrect- several here have used them as accentuations for a commercial setting, others have looked into it. For me I'm just a hobbiest and honest to God woodcarver. I just felt that the marriage of wooddust and computer graphics was too much not to take get involved with.

I have only 6+ hrs on my machine that has been doted on and through no fault of my own the board sensor went out. Ok- its getting replaced and I'm very happy so far with the customer service I've gotten.

Footnote- Today I'm replacing a hd on my daughters Presario laptop she's had for only 2 months, it went out too. Things happen.

J
    "Today I am becoming who I once dreamed to be."

Thumbs up Compucarve and Sears

Fred
    Just thought I'd add my 2 cents.........I too have over 35 years in NC/CNC machining and for the price of this machine and what it can do you can't beat it. I bought mine for just plain hobby work but have sold quite a few pieces to others who love it's results. I have over 80 hours on mine and about 30 projects............great machine for the money if used as intended.

Bob

Default Compucarve and Sears

Thanks for the replys

So far positive.

I'l give it a couple of days then revisit Sears.

My understanding is that is the only way to get one as CW has none in stock!

Fred

Default Hello Fred

Fred ,if you are smart as many of the people here are and you can use tools and do you own work if needed .You will love this machine !You can't touch what this will do for 8 k or more.I'm hooked on cnc I bought a full size model with tool changer ,4th axis,autocabinets and endroute wood plus ,and drawercad.You can layout a full job of drawer parts and dovetail them ready to go.I also have many of my figured wood customers want we to rout their guitar bodies and will probable get into that once I master the cabinet end.
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by benluz View Post
    Fred ,if you are smart as many of the people here are and you can use tools and do you own work if needed .You will love this machine !You can't touch what this will do for 8 k or more.I'm hooked on cnc I bought a full size model with tool changer ,4th axis,autocabinets and endroute wood plus ,and drawercad.You can layout a full job of drawer parts and dovetail them ready to go.I also have many of my figured wood customers want we to rout their guitar bodies and will probable get into that once I master the cabinet end.
    Ben
    Carvewright is suppose to start selling them this month...at least that is what I was told.
    Ben

Smile Sears and CW

fstrumpf

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

I bought my machine from Sears, spoke with the Sears warranty dept and paid about $50.00 for a 5 year warranty.

My machine was sent back to LHR for repair without contacting Sears, and infact, as of 5 mintues ago, my e-mail from them stated a shipping number back to me.

I do infact have problems, lot of them are do to inexperience on my side. Some are on the CW side. I held off for 3 months watching the forum for clues, then went to Sears web site and made one mine.

Overall, what my customers, coworkers, and friends see the final result...well, heck yes, I'd do it again.
    Placed 1st and 3rd in the 2011 Desert Woodcarvers Show

www.customwoodcarvingllc.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast