Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question on buying a probe

I have debated the decision for the purchase of a probe...... until now... SOLD. thanx LogCabinMom
    ver 1.162
    -If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it is jammed, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
    -If it moves and it shouldn't, duct tape it. If it doesn't move and it should, Boeshield T-9

2. Default

As of right now, both Sears and Carvewright have the probe in stock. Sears is having a 20% sale so it comes out for $339.99.

Mine shipped from Carvewright already. Yay!

I wonder how long they'll be in stock this time?

Thumbs down

I got on the list at sears to be notified when they came in and during that time the price went up $100.00. I absolutely refuse to pay that kind of money just because sears decides to raise prices because of demand. I do not need it that bad. I got the email that they are in stock, I deleted it and will not get one.

Rick

4. Default

When I bought the machine, I decided right off the bat that the probe was part of the system. I agree about the price but it is what it is... On the other hand, Sears has good sales very often so you can get it for much less. Last time around, it went into the cart at $339. The time before that it was $319. If it's something you want, just wait for the combination of a good sale and when it's in stock. May take a while though...

As far as mine goes, it finally got delivered. TO THE WRONG ADDRESS! And it's not even close to the first time DHL has done this. All I can do now is hope that the driver can remember where he dropped it off and can possibly retrieve it tomorrow... The only problem there is that I know there is no matching house number on the road he dropped it off at.

If anyone orders direct from carvewright, I strongly suggest you specify some other carrier than DHL!

Update: DHL finally did drop off the box this late morning (next day) on my steps. Would have been nice if they left it near the door or even knocked on it... But at least I now have it. Yay!
    Last edited by BearlyRich; 05-22-2007 at 11:37 AM.

I planned on getting the probe with the machine as well, I ordered it and spare bits when I ordered my machine.
    One really handy almost required feature is the added ability to edit scanned objects and imported images, really this should IMHO be part of the image/pattern import process. A really handy addition to removing unwanted bumps and jaggies from imported images. the simple editing tools let you see how your grayscale image is translated into the 3d carving quickly.
    Mike G
    Custom wood working, etc, www.gmanind.com

6. Default

I'll have to agree on that. The editing part should be standard in the software. It should also be easier to get to. I can't find any other way of bringing it up except to import a scan or double-click on an existing pattern in my Favorites. Why not just simply on the menu?

On more minor gripe. I can buy any number of cheap $19 to $49 tools and they all come in handy blow-moulded cases for protection. The probe comes in a cheap cardboard box... Come on, for $400, they could supply a decent case for it considering it's not always inserted into the machine. As a matter of fact, nothing is supposed to be left inserted int he chcuck. It should come with a case to hold the bits and probe...

The probe does come with a nice faux suede flocked plastic tray!
    I think the plastic case idea is OK for a portable tool that is tossed into a pickup bed or tool trailer. The probe in its plastic tray is ok for sitting in my tool chest. IMHO.
    Mike G
    Custom wood working, etc, www.gmanind.com

Unhappy Probe in a cardboard box

Quote Originally Posted by Gman_Ind View Post
    I think the plastic case idea is OK for a portable tool that is tossed into a pickup bed or tool trailer. The probe in its plastic tray is ok for sitting in my tool chest. IMHO.
    I bought mine from CW and it came in a oversize cardboard box. For some reason I have the feeling it was one that was returned, quick check over and sent out to the next customer....me. It worked for a while but now all it does is start to scan and then I get error "Z axis stall 246 press stop". The only bright side is the (Sears version) machine works great as a carving machine.
    Went back to software version 1.115 as 1.120 even screwed up the machine.
    My worst day since being retired is still better than my best day when I had to work.

9. Default

Sorry to hear you have a problem with the probe. Mine came in a larger cardboard box also but I was hopinh it was new as it was all wrapped up in newspaper. Chinese newspaper! But who knows?

I updated my Sears machine to the 1.120 and have had only minor expected problems. What happened to yours that you went back to 1.115?

Default Mine was in a box as well

This is how mine arrived as well. Not the greatest way in the world to store it, but it keeps it clean and keeps it from banging into the rest of my tools. I agree the price is a little steep for somting to arive wrapped in newspaper. When I get some time I can try and scan the plastic tray and post the file for others to carve. Might help, LMK if anyone in interested.

Tom
    If you think I am talking about you then you are either correct or guilty

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast