Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question on buying a probe

Thumbs up

Tom,
    You might want to fill the back of the plastic with plaster Paris or something to keep the probe from punching holes in it. Mine was a little on the thin side.
    Last edited by Kenm810; 05-23-2007 at 09:07 PM.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Question Buying a Probe

Ok, I'm thinking about buying a probe...but I'm wondering if I should wait until CW comes out with their new software package. I don't want to be updating and paying twice if I don't have too... I'm worried about the probe software not working correctly with the new designer software... Any thoughts on this subject???
    Dirtydan
    A.K.A. The Gunny
    Every day I thank God for Mister Levi Strauss
    mailto:gunny@thegunnys.us
    http://www.thegunnys.us

Default Good Idea

fill the back of the plastic with plaster Paris
    Now that sounds like a good idea to me. Might just use the backside to make a mold. Hope to have it posted this weekend.

I should wait until CW comes out with their new software package
    Just curious what is the new software supposed to change in the probing? Knock on wood my has worked without a hitch so far That would be great if they had an update that made it scan a little faster.

Thanks!
    Tom
    If you think I am talking about you then you are either correct or guilty

Unhappy 1.115 still best for me

Quote Originally Posted by BearlyRich View Post
    Sorry to hear you have a problem with the probe. Mine came in a larger cardboard box also but I was hopinh it was new as it was all wrapped up in newspaper. Chinese newspaper! But who knows?

I updated my Sears machine to the 1.120 and have had only minor expected problems. What happened to yours that you went back to 1.115?
    Since late January 2007 my carver and probe both worked great. However a couple of weeks back the probe quits after 10/20 /30 /50 % with the Z axis stall error 246. Up graded to 1.120 thinking that would help....NOT !!
    Then when I tried to start a carving project, the truck would gingerly hit the bit finder, bit would go down once, then the truck would shudder come back a little hit the bit finder again (a bit slow and shaky) the bit would go down again then the truck would return home. It just seemed that something wasn't right.It looked like more problems wanting to surface so back to 1.115. Still carves great, just will not complete a scan.
    My worst day since being retired is still better than my best day when I had to work.

I know we all want to play with our new toys but the probe pocket is a simple shape, maybe a vector cutout would be a better way to make the tool pocket and use a larger bit to remove the material, save the carving bit for detail work. Just a thought. I am thinking this way now because I can still design carvings but I can't scan nor carve until my machine returns from Texas.
    Plus I am trying to get as much made before the 200 hour warranty is burned up.
    I am also thinking of stuff to make quickly for sale at craft fairs and such.
    Mike G
    Custom wood working, etc, www.gmanind.com

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Donboy View Post
    Then when I tried to start a carving project, the truck would gingerly hit the bit finder, bit would go down once, then the truck would shudder come back a little hit the bit finder again (a bit slow and shaky) the bit would go down again then the truck would return home. It just seemed that something wasn't right.It looked like more problems wanting to surface so back to 1.115. Still carves great, just will not complete a scan.
    As long as it works for you, that's the main thing. But as far as how it does the bit finder, that sounds just like how mine works (with 1.120). Since I updated it as soon as I got it, I never saw it work any other way and seems normal to me. Maybe it's not a problem after all?

7. Default

I haven't heard of any proposed changes in the scanning software? I have heard of a problem with copy/paste that is supposed to get fixed. I could be wrong too?

That's an interesting thought to wait on buying a probe for the new software since it does now come with the full software CD. Ah-well. I never was good at waiting for something...

Also a good idea to work on carving a holder for the probe and maybe the bits too. ZFunny that I was thinking of trying to scan that plastic holder last night. I made the box for the PC card. It seems kind of natural for the machine to make it's own bit holder box Seems also like it should be a sample project on the CD...

And speaking of the probe and damaging what it being scanned... Does anyone have an idea of how damaging that probe may be? I was going to scan my Odd Jobs #1 until I realized it had a glass bubble level and thought the probe would probably break the glass tube? I wonder just how much force/pressure/vibration the probe puts on objects?

Quote Originally Posted by BearlyRich View Post
    I haven't heard of any proposed changes in the scanning software? I have heard of a problem with copy/paste that is supposed to get fixed. I could be wrong too?

That's an interesting thought to wait on buying a probe for the new software since it does now come with the full software CD. Ah-well. I never was good at waiting for something...

And speaking of the probe and damaging what it being scanned... Does anyone have an idea of how damaging that probe may be? I was going to scan my Odd Jobs #1 until I realized it had a glass bubble level and thought the probe would probably break the glass tube? I wonder just how much force/pressure/vibration the probe puts on objects?
    Hello Bearlyrich,

1) "I have heard of a problem with copy/paste that is supposed to get fixed."
    I also have been told by a Rep at LHR that copy/paste will be addressed in an upcoming update to the Pattern Editor software. (Supposedly, it will be a free update.)

2) "That's an interesting thought to wait on buying a probe for the new software since it does now come with the full software CD. Ah-well. I never was good at waiting for something"

Why wait? The probe activation/registration just adds the Pattern Editor software, nothing more. The CD just has a duplicate of the standard version of Designer.

3) "And speaking of the probe and damaging what it being scanned... Does anyone have an idea of how damaging that probe may be?"

I scanned a glass Christmas ornament (a coke bottle) and it did not break the glass. However, I did accidently break the ornament myself when I was picking off a teeny blob of hot glue residue after the scan was done! (I was holding the ornament firmly in one hand while picking at the glue and "squished it".)

The probe can leave "lines" on laquered, clear-coated and painted objects. The probe doesn't apply what I would call a lot of pressure, but it can be enough to "scrape" a fine finish. Just use common sense what you choose to scan.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hello Bearlyrich,

I scanned a glass Christmas ornament (a coke bottle) and it did not break the glass. However, I did accidently break the ornament myself when I was picking off a teeny blob of hot glue residue after the scan was done! (I was holding the ornament firmly in one hand while picking at the glue and "squished it".)

The probe can leave "lines" on laquered, clear-coated and painted objects. The probe doesn't apply what I would call a lot of pressure, but it can be enough to "scrape" a fine finish. Just use common sense what you choose to scan.
    You scanned a glass ornament? Wow! All the ones I've seen are very fragile. This makes me feel better. I'll have to try some fragile stuff just to see what happens. Sorry to hear it broke when removing the glue. I know the exact same thing would happen to me

I did read somewhere about the rpobe doing some damage to a painted object but it wasn't anything like glass. Now I should have more things to scan.

And the thought to wait for buying a probe for newer software may or not be an idea. If they do a much more advanced version that we have to pay for, it may come with the probe? Something non of us would know... Me, I'd rather have the probe now and worry about software updates when they become available...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123