Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally got a ship notice

Default Finally got a ship notice

I'm going to have a machine again by next Thurs! It's been a month today, and although I've been busy, I miss it. I made a major shop improvement that I've been wanting for a long time. I got a like new Shelix cutterhead for my 8" jointer for $200 that retail for $400 + shipping so it was a steal. 54 - 4 faced carbide cutters on an angle that shear the wood cleanly. Wow, what a difference! Even highly figured wood is shaved to a glass like finish with no chip out. Now I want one for my planer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shelix.jpg  
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Hello Pkunk,

That Shelix cutterhead for your jointer looks fantastic. Sounds like you're lovin' it!

Glad to hear you're going to get your machine back soon, too!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

That's impressive. My jointer made my left thumb a 1/2" shorter a couple of years ago, but it was a very uneven cut. The Shelix looks like it would have cut it off smooth and even. I'm jealous.
    For premade quality patterns visit Vector Arts 3D.

"Belief has never been a prerequisite of truth." - me

Default Carbide

Very Nice !!! A friend up the road has the business selling the Disposable Planer Blades to places like Grizzley. Another very nice product.

AL

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by HandTurnedMaple View Post
    That's impressive. My jointer made my left thumb a 1/2" shorter a couple of years ago, but it was a very uneven cut. The Shelix looks like it would have cut it off smooth and even. I'm jealous.
    "I didn't need to know that. Kindly leave the stage."

John

Wow, Paul that is cool! I just have a bench top jointer. I have a jointability system. With my sign shop I glue up signs and this system is great for perfect square edges. You place both boards in the system and use your router with a cutting bit and it squares both edges at one time. You can also make dados and rabbit joints with it.

The bummer it is over 8 feet long so you have to have room in your shop for it. Again that blade is a good ideal glad to hear you bought it for a good deal!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by pkunk View Post
    I'm going to have a machine again by next Thurs! It's been a month today, and although I've been busy, I miss it. I made a major shop improvement that I've been wanting for a long time. I got a like new Shelix cutterhead for my 8" jointer for $200 that retail for $400 + shipping so it was a steal. 54 - 4 faced carbide cutters on an angle that shear the wood cleanly. Wow, what a difference! Even highly figured wood is shaved to a glass like finish with no chip out. Now I want one for my planer.
    pkunk:

If you don't mind. What does a set of replacement cutters cost? If you should brake, chip or damage a single cutter can you replace the single damaged cutter or do you have to change the whole set? I keep looking at them, but, ($$$)?
    DDV

DDV, (no I'm not pkunk but.....) they are indexable cutters with four sides. So if you damage them or they get sull the cutter(s) can be unscrewed and turned 90 deg.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Quote Originally Posted by DDV View Post
    pkunk:

If you don't mind. What does a set of replacement cutters cost? If you should brake, chip or damage a single cutter can you replace the single damaged cutter or do you have to change the whole set? I keep looking at them, but, ($$$)?
    DDV
    They do have 4 edges, but to replace them when they're all dull is $24 for a set of 10. Quite reasonable considering that there's 4 cutting edges per. My expenses for having regular HS steel blades sharpened have run close to $100 a yr.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Paul,

Some carbide inserts can also be sharpened at a reasonable cost. Might be worth checking when you get through the four edges.
    Charles M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast