Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lithophane

Default lithophane

yup you read right it took me three times to say it right.

that is what it is called when you take a pic and carve it into a clear or translucent plastic of some sort.

have a look at one I did last night

this is the first I have tried it is on 1/4 plexiglass clear witht he carving set at .100 depth and height at 75

the names and date are too deep at .063 so the next one will be around .02 just to try a difference I think it will show up very nice at that depth.

in the middle right over my face you will see discoloring and this was due to a burr on the bit as it turns out and instead of carving away it was scraping away. (I think)

my intention is to make a shadow box and perhaps have a back light. I am also going to carve the same pic in white lexan to see the difference.

when I looked at the other people who have done lithophanes I have seen almos black and white but with the clear it all frosted. I don't mind this look but It would be nice to see the difference in that as well.

I did absolutely nothing to the image except flip it horz so that it would carve on the back and the fromt would be smooth.

I had trouble getting the cw to measure this because it was either clear or too thin so I set it on a piece of pine at the end and let it go.

to keep it attached to the pine I used two small strips of rubber approx 1/8 thick to stop it from slidding around. no glue or anything else asside from the rollers.

let me know what ytou think of the idea and the pic.

don't worry about my feelings my buddy told me today that I was a skunk because of how it looked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2974.JPG   IMG_2976.JPG  
    I know there is no point in reinventing the wheel, but reinventing myself is a worthy goal to be sure.

Tim

Default Lithophane

As I mentioned in a communique relative to ArtCam I also had a sample of a lithophane. Lithophane is nothing new. If I recall it's history it goes a long way back. The sample I had was of a milky white plastic with the portrait image of a woman. When held up to a light it did not glare. I guess the proper word would be translucent rather than transparent. I do not recall the type of plastic nor how it was produced except that the 3D company I represented at the time had a dozen or so samples to hand out to prospective individuals interested in 3D. I understand your depth setting.... what (and where and why) is the height setting? (75). I'm new to Designer and the machine.

Default Lithophane

Just for reference.... A few years back I copied a page from a miscelleanous catalog which had a 'lithophane product. It was an image of a sleeping woman. The carving was mounted on a bronze finished filigree pedestal Victorian picture frame 9.5hx4.75wx3.75d. The description stated... "...(the image) takes on new depth and richness as a translucent porcelain Lithophane." "Illuminated by an included 25 watt max. candelabra bulb." I realize that the CW machine cannot cut porcelain. But I thought this may provide ideas on what can be done in plastic and the Lithophne process.

Thanks for the input and reply

the height is to the right of the depth when you are in designer.

basically if height is set at 100 which is the norm then the range from 0 to 256 shades of gray will be represented as normal this number can be increased or in the case decreased as you desire. the lower the number the less 3d the image will look and the higher the number the more 3d it will look.

because I was not going too deep I did not want too much of the image to be at the surface so I reduced the height and voila

thisnk about it this way if you will

if you carve an item onto a piece of pine that is an inch thick and you set the depth to be 3/4 of an inch you will be taking away alot of wood especially if the height is set at 100 but if you set it at 400 say then even though the background will be 3/4 of an inch deep the image will stnad off the background more.

give it a try in designer and you will see the difference, just try any image like I just described and then tilt it before you play with the height.
    also make your depth .100 and see what happens to the image.

good luck
    I know there is no point in reinventing the wheel, but reinventing myself is a worthy goal to be sure.

Tim

Default lithophane

I'm getting ready to try my first picture on some 1/8" material in white. Which in our rual area I feel rather lucky to even find that. But I just wanted to confirm with you "menefy" that the height and depth should both be sat at 100 and .100 for best results is that correct? The pictures are of the grand daughters so I can't mess them up.
    Thank-you, Mike

Mike,

I'm not menewfy and I haven't done plastic carving yet but 0.100" depth is pretty deep for 1/8" (0.125") thick material and will leave only 0.025". In fact, a lot of what is sold as 1/8" is actually 3mm (0.118") which would leave only 0.018".
    Charles M

Default lithophane

Which is true. But that is why I am looking for the answer. It dosen't leave much that final .025 thickness. And all I know about carving plastic is what this thread has had to offer. I realize I'm going to have to have a board under it.
    In Him, Mike
    msphilpott@tnet.biz

no I carved into 1/4 inch so I would def not do that deep on your thin stuff I would back it up to .06 and see how that looks maybe even .05 you can always try to take more away later hard to add any.

good luck

Tim

Cool Lithophane Depth

Having carved about 6 pictures I have found that to pass the right light and look like a photo image I set the depth to leave .020-.030 and set the height to 750 for my best results on .125 thick white opague material......just my experience though.

Bob

Bob,
    How about posting the pictures so we can see how they look.
    Computers-Yuk....I should junk it...It never does what it should do...only what I tell it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast