Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help To Carve Text Please

Quote Originally Posted by pamjmayo View Post
    What is Centerline and why does everyone want it?
    This topic has been posted to death, but to answer your question:

Centerline is a traditional way of carving fonts as a vector cut with a v-shaped bit, where the thickness of the line can be changed by the depth of the cut. We want it because it:

1. Looks good (better clarity than is possible with the carving bit, and also, because it uses a v-bit it is possible to carve smaller text than is otherwise possible).
    2. Is very fast (because it carves in vector mode rather than in raster mode, it can carve out text in a fraction of the time)

I`d myself agree with a couple of points to your reply CallNeg151, however disagree with part of it.

I`d agree that it`s the "traditional" way of doing it, however I`d disagree that with this equipment being able to do it faster and "cleaner" then what many or us were already using.

In my own tests I`ve found that I am able to produce the "standard" results much better and with better quality, as well as less time by sticking to the "older techniques" then to try and teach an old dog new tricks.

"Centerline" has, and most likely will be the upper most "accepted" approach for "true style" signage.

This "little piece of machinery" has lots of potential, but to replace what is at this time "acceptable" by most in that regard is asking a bit much at this time IMO.

I do beleive we are on the "frontier" of a vast and enlightening experience by helping each other to push the envelope towards its further developement as such.

But then again, I`m just drinking, hoping and wishing... <grin>

Besides that I`d agree, it has been about "hashed to death" too.
    "Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it"-Thomas Jefferson

Default Tutorial?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJamesDesign View Post
    Jeff is only half right. You can't yet with the designer software. The attached mpc was laid out in Ulead Photoimpact and exported as a grayscale PNG. It is not carved with the 60 or 90 degree bit as I assume the true centerline is, but rather with the 1/16 carving bit. I will be posting a tutorial in a few days that will describe how to create this look with almost any font.

Jim
    HI MJD, ANY LUCK WITH YOUR TUTORIAL? OR DID I MISS IT?

You can achieve the centerline 'look' several different ways..... however, that still is not nearly as good as true 'centerline' text, because you have to use your carving bit and it carves it just like it would anything else... in raster mode, back and forth, taking lots of machine time and putting wear and tear on it...

In true centerline mode, when you use a 90 degree bit, it follows the centerline of the letters and does the carving quickly and efficiently, saving valuable warranty and run time on the machine. That part about it is more valuable than the 'look' actually.....
    Free Tutorials, Patterns & Projects at www.ALLCW.com

I know there hase been talk about CW offering the Centerline for $50. However, I think that they should throw us a bone and give it to us for free. Was this not offered early on as a feature of the software and not as an upgrade? Besides, if CW is coming out with a pro version that'll cost $300~$500, it's the least they could do. Come'on CW! I need a new bone to chew!!
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    67.34% of all statistics are made up.
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

I do like how quick the centerline routing is, this sign is 16X10.5 and took only an 1hour and 18 minutes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7 015 (528 x 396).jpg  
    Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by HillBilly View Post
    I`d agree that it`s the "traditional" way of doing it, however I`d disagree that with this equipment being able to do it faster and "cleaner" then what many or us were already using.

In my own tests I`ve found that I am able to produce the "standard" results much better and with better quality, as well as less time by sticking to the "older techniques" then to try and teach an old dog new tricks.
    Hmmm... Once again, I suspect I wasn't being clear, by "faster" and "cleaner" I was only comparing it to using raster mode for recessed fonts with the CW, not other ways of doing it. Nonetheless, a recent project that I created (a tombstone for the front yard this next halloween) took 38 minutes to carve using centerline and a small raster design, while the same design took a couple of hours to carve using raster mode text.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiffyDog View Post
    I know there hase been talk about CW offering the Centerline for $50. However, I think that they should throw us a bone and give it to us for free. Was this not offered early on as a feature of the software and not as an upgrade? Besides, if CW is coming out with a pro version that'll cost $300~$500, it's the least they could do. Come'on CW! I need a new bone to chew!!
    I thought I read that the centerline option would be included in the pro software when released.

Tommy
    OVER 800 FREE CARVING PATTERNS,PROJECTS & more!
    CompuCarveWright.com

¨...make the best tool in your shop even better!¨
    Visit the CompuCarveWright.com SUPERSTORE!
    Great Patterns, Great Prices! And a CHOICE of formats...PTN, MPW, PNG!
    Want to sell your own patterns in our store...a limited number of applicants are being accepted. Contact us today...
    CompuCarveWright.com is not affiliated, associated, or endorsed by LHR Technologies or Sears Holdings...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12