Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I really like this one!

Wink

Hi Bob,

I have used both 110 volt and battery power lights from Radio Shack and Michael’s craft store. The plug in ones I use have a roller switch in the cord and are often used around Halloween, Christmas and use night light sized bulbs to light up pumpkins, decorations and the like from the inside. They cost a couple of bucks; -- as a matter of fact I’ve seen them in a couple of Dollar stores
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lightKit140-634-08[1].jpg  
    Last edited by Kenm810; 07-03-2007 at 06:16 AM.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Thumbs up

dougmsbbs,

If you ever post any other mpc files like that last one Please, please let me know.
    It carved up beautifully!!! I would be happy to pay for them, and sure other would too.

Thanks bunches
    Last edited by Kenm810; 04-21-2007 at 02:59 PM.
    Ken

Thanks for the tip on the light I have been looking everywhere and have not found one like this yet but I will be on the look out now cause that will work perfectly.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Kenm810 View Post
    Hi Bob,

I have used both 110 volt and battery power lights from Radio Shack and Michael’s craft store. The plug in ones I use have a roller switch in the cord and are often used around Halloween, Christmas and use night light sized bulbs to light up pumpkins, decorations the like from the inside. They cost a couple of bucks; -- as a matter of fact I’ve seen them in a couple of Dollar stores
    I know there is no point in reinventing the wheel, but reinventing myself is a worthy goal to be sure.

Tim

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Kenm810 View Post
    Hi Bob,

I have used both 110 volt and battery power lights from Radio Shack and Michael’s craft store. The plug in ones I use have a roller switch in the cord and are often used around Halloween, Christmas and use night light sized bulbs to light up pumpkins, decorations the like from the inside. They cost a couple of bucks; -- as a matter of fact I’ve seen them in a couple of Dollar stores
    Ken
    Thanks for the info on the lights.............here is my last project, could need a brighter light though,

Bob

* Hope this doesn't double post......clicked "Preview Post" and the first one disappeared.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1138.JPG   DSCF1142.JPG  

Thumbs up

Bob,

It certainly looks like you’ve got the touch, great job.
    I do like the worm Antique or Sepia look that these carvings can produce.
    Ken

I noticed that several of you were starting to question the use of "light boxes" to be used with the "litophane`s" and how to go about develop one.

I`ve had my grandson over here this weekend and as such haven`t had a lot of time to be with my "other lady".. <grin> I did have to chuckle a bit when I saw "Ken`s" post however (also have to agree on the "Sepia" look), as that is the same light configuration I`ve found works best. I tried a few othes but settled on the simple "night-light" type setup, using a 7 watt bulb. The one thing I wanted to avoid was having the box become to big. I was looking at keeping it under three inches max in depth. As anything else would IMO take up to much room on a table , or stand to far off of a wall.

I tried a couple of diffrent ways of refracting the light within the enclosure. The first was a concave approach. That one worked rather nicely, But the way I had designed it, it not only left a "hot-spot" but the litophane was left standing quite upright and quite front heavy as well. So back to the drawing borad for idea two. The second one used more of a squarely segmented approach. Not only did the second one place the light in an more even manner of display, but placed the litophane at a slight angle as well as presented a better balance to it over all.

Now as you might also notice. I tend not to use my lumber when I`m working on some of my ideas, but something more commonly available, that kinda needed to be recycled anyway... LOL

Hope this helps a few of ya.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lighbox1a.jpg   Lightbox1b.jpg   Lightbox2a.jpg   Lightbox2c.jpg  

Lightbox2d.jpg  
    "Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it"-Thomas Jefferson

Cool Back lighting

Hawg_man
    Junior Member Join Date: Mar 2007

Backlighting Carved Plastic

My question is does anyone know a source to get small lights that will work well for backlighting these carvings. I've done google serch for them but all I get are backlighting LED's used in cell phones, etc.

Bob

For a shallower box with very little heat, has anyone tried "rope" light??? It's LED's in a plastic sheath. Low output, can be purchased in 1/2" or 3/8" and a multitude of colors. I've seen it in Home Depot. It can be ordered online at alot of places.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/typesoflightbulbs
    Last edited by Sarge; 04-22-2007 at 09:06 PM.
    Are ya smoking canine fecal matter, AGAIN????

http://home.att.net/~inabnitt/wsb/ht...out.html-.html

"Candles" do seem to work the best at times, don`t they ?

Oh yea, done tried that, don`t work that well...(my own opioion, that is, by the way).

Steadily, looking however.

"Ya think "?
    "Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it"-Thomas Jefferson

I sometimes use Fresnel Deffractive Magnifiers or Prismatic diffusers in the light box between the light source and the project to be illumined, they help to even out the light. The lenses are from 1/8 to 3/16 inch thick. Most are made of extruded acrylic and polycarbonate. And are often seen as a translucent plastic sheet between the lamp and the room below in recessed ceiling fluorescent light fixtures, and are available at most hardware, lighting, or building supply store. They are available in verity of surfaces and the most common sizes are 2x2 and 2x4 ft. Most, only cost a few dollars. –- I normally cut mine to size on my table saw, but I have used a utility knife to score the flat side and simply snap it to size. Try moving the lens nearer or further from the project to get the affect you want.

Also if heat is a concern - consider using a small florescent bulb. ----- Only Suggestions

CF7C 7W Candelabra
    Output: 280 lumens
    Energy Used: 7 Watts
    Equivalent to: 60 Watt incandescent
    Life: 6,000 Avg. Hours
    Base: Candelabra
    Color Temperature (Kelvin): 3000K
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P19a.jpg   cracked.jpg   clip_image002.jpg  
    Last edited by Kenm810; 04-22-2007 at 09:55 AM.
    Ken

Default A little eye candy for us carvers

1/4" Corian, if you like, it can be just something different to carve on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails W A Litho's.jpg  
    Last edited by Kenm810; 04-23-2007 at 06:28 AM.
    Ken

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast