Thread: I really like this one!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default I really like this one!

9" wide by 12" tall, on 1/8" white vinyl. Picked up some scrap from work and just had to try it. As normal, the photo only gives a hint as to what it really looks like. I have people standing in my living room staring at it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Christ.jpg  
    Last edited by dougmsbbs; 04-15-2007 at 12:42 AM.

Cool Jesus Christ!!!

Now that's pretty, and I'm not even religious. What is the specific type of vinyl??? How deep did you carve it, front or back, where can others get it?
    Are ya smoking canine fecal matter, AGAIN????

http://home.att.net/~inabnitt/wsb/ht...out.html-.html

I agree with Sarge, very nice indeed...
    Computers-Yuk....I should junk it...It never does what it should do...only what I tell it.

Default That Looks Terrific

very nice work sir!!!

I am very interested in all things about plastic and now I guess vinyl as well.

please post as much info as you can as I believe there are a lot of folks on here looking for this information.

how thick was is?
    what kind or what is it called?
    how deep did you have to carve?
    how much buggering did you do with the image before you carved it?
    can you post the mpc file unless someone has an objection?

I would really like to carve something that loks that good!
    I know there is no point in reinventing the wheel, but reinventing myself is a worthy goal to be sure.

Tim

Default More info...

I talked to the guy that orders this stuff at work. He told me wrong, it's actually Nylon. He gets it from Mcmaster-Carr. He's not sure off hand the exact stuff but it's called something like Nylon 6.
    The material is interesting. It passes light, and carves easily. I think it will handle heat from a back light okay too. But I'm not sure I really like the looks of it when the light is off. The jury is still out on that...
    The carving took little work to the original picture. It was carved .120 deep. Being so thin (1/8") I taped it to another board to carve it, and had a time getting the tape back off of it when I was done. It can be viewed from front or back. From the front the detail is amasing, from the back it's sorta of a 'other-wordly' feeling. I keep turning it back and forth, I'm not sure which side I prefer...
    I really can't say I'm all that religious. This was done because my wife told me too. What more can I say?
    I'm gonna try to get some more scraps, and maybe see if someone on here wants to try some. Meanwhile, here's the pattern if someone wants to try it on something else.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thumbs up Source for plastic material

All, If you would like to buy plastic sheet see the following link... The company is US Plastics. What was described in the pevious post as nylon 6 would be what they list as Natural Nylon 101 type 6/6. Our company purchases materials like this from them all the time for prototype parts... and the nylon does machine nicely.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/cat...name=75&Page=1

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here