Thread: Cuesmith sign

Default Cuesmith sign

I build and repair pool cues, so I thought a sign was in order. I decided I'll rout the edges by using my router later. (I wasn't sure if I had the exact offset correct, so I played it safe). I used cherry, 3/4" thick x 8" x 10". The only real trouble spot was the bottom "e" it got chipped out. I doctored up an image of the text I liked, but I guess I need a little more work there...

This pic is what the CC made - before I routed the edges.

Don't sweat the small stuff, cuzz its all small stuff..

Thumbs up Cue sign

It looks pretty good, but a few suggestions.

1. Take the feathering off of everything. Highlight each element, then click on the feather arrow and select "0".

2. Make your lettering "Bold".

3 Try putting some gold or antique gold paint on the lettering.

I think this'll make your sign "pop". Some of this comes along as you "horse" with the designs.

Good luck, don't quit trying.
    Are ya smoking canine fecal matter, AGAIN????

http://home.att.net/~inabnitt/wsb/ht...out.html-.html

Cueman, looks great! Keep on doing what you are doing! Take some scrap wood and experiment changing the cutting depth and carving heights and feathering. Find out what you like best. I did that, at first my height was at 100 and that was way too low. Then I set it at 999 and certain fonts would chip out. So I found a happy medium around 750.

Then I discovered setting my carving to 1/8" gives enough depth. As forth to feathering it all depends if I am removing all the material around the letters. Or how much I want my patterns to stand out.

Your project looks great if you are happy with it then keep up what you doing! Thanks for sharing!

Rick

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the tips. Looking forward to many more projects.
    Don't sweat the small stuff, cuzz its all small stuff..

one thinkg I noticed while horseing around with it is that if you use capital letters while not right will not break out. also try using the outline instead of raster you might be surprised at what you find.
    I know there is no point in reinventing the wheel, but reinventing myself is a worthy goal to be sure.

Tim

Talking RE:Cuesmith sign

Everything you carve will turn out great if you get a "funny look'in" cap!
    Placed 1st and 3rd in the 2011 Desert Woodcarvers Show

www.customwoodcarvingllc.com