Thread: Blisters on Designer Photo Images

Question Blisters on Designer Photo Images

New to Forum. Primary focus is carving photo images of portraits/profiles. I've followed many of the steps presented on the forum relative to photographs but when zooming in when in CW Designer the image is distorted with 'blisters' or inverted, with craters. The only reasonable success I've had is having scanned a portrait profile photo of a three year old young girl. Computer is a Compaq Presario 900 w/windows XP. Camera.. a Konica 4mp at high res 1704x2304 quality at Fine, jpg save. Scanner Epson 3170 3200x6400 set at 1200 dpi for color, ~360 for b&w. Have only Adobe Elements and save as gif or png so that I can erase background and carve a portrait image only. I also noticed in Designer when switching to invert and back there is a momentary image for a tenth of a second that is just superb... great resolution & detail. Why is that not available to carve?

Default No simple answers

3D,

There is a lot of responses to this on this forum, you need to search for them.
    It seems that you will have to work with/massage a grayscale image to get the best results.
    Not sure about the image changing as you report - check your setting for quality - set it to "Best".

I hope others respond with added help - keep the faith!

Ken

Cool pics with blisters

If you end up with bubbles or craters, they're in your picture. I've found them to be small specks you don't see at a distance in your original pic. Most of them can be cleared. I use MS Paint, take the eraser and clear any small specks surrounding your main image. Then save it, you'll find your bubbles and craters will be less and less when you check before importing into Designer.
    Are ya smoking canine fecal matter, AGAIN????

http://home.att.net/~inabnitt/wsb/ht...out.html-.html

Also there is a lot of mention about .jpeg formats. Because it compressors the image it will add the 'Spots' around the edges. Most people have switched to .png format.
    If it doesn't fit force it. If it breaks then it needed replacing anyway.

Have a Craftsman Carver and Running Ver. 1.150

Posting pictures tutorial http://www.malanoski.com/downloads/posting_pictures.pdf.

Quote Originally Posted by 3DPhotowright View Post
    .....when zooming in when in CW Designer the image is distorted with 'blisters' or inverted, with craters. ....
    Could you set this up on your computer, then use "print screen" to copy the view to your clipboard, and post it here so we can see exactly what the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by 3DPhotowright View Post
    .....there is a momentary image for a tenth of a second that is just superb... great resolution & detail. Why is that not available to carve?
    I've noticed this also, so it's not just your computer.
    Have you tried setting the bit optimization to best, and in the View menu choose the highest rendering setting ? This might be the conditions you're looking for.
    Regards
    John

Default Momentary superb image.

I have noticed this too... I have come to the conclusion that what you are seeing for that instance is the true image with dead sharp peaks and valleys, When it finishes and looks less "crisp" it is showing what is left by the ball on the tip of the cutter... In other words it isnt allowing the cutter to go to full depth to a point. If you change the cutter to a bigger ball it gets worse which supports what i am concluding...

any other thoughts????

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Quote Originally Posted by rjustice View Post
    I have noticed this too... I have come to the conclusion that what you are seeing for that instance is the true image with dead sharp peaks and valleys, When it finishes and looks less "crisp" it is showing what is left by the ball on the tip of the cutter... In other words it isnt allowing the cutter to go to full depth to a point. If you change the cutter to a bigger ball it gets worse which supports what i am concluding...

any other thoughts????

Ron
    Exactly. The pattern is ultimately limited by the fact that it is being cut by a 1/16th inch bit. The image that you see initially is the "ideal" pattern. What you see afterward is what the image will look like when carved, taking into account the bit. The final image will vary depending on the size of the carving, and the bit optimize settings.