Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird request

Default Weird request

My probe hasn’t arrived yet but I received a job request this morning. A fisherman at work has a frozen catch he wants me to scan and carve. I remember a post awhile back (pkunk I believe) where he stated that the heat generated from scanning was affecting the paint on the piece he was using. Don’t want the fish to thaw and cook on my baby.

Any thoughts on whether I should attempt this or decline the job?

Thanks
    Don

Wink Your kidding right?

I have not received my probe yet, but i have read several posts about taking 5 hours, 7 hours etc.... how big is your fish?... LMAO... you might be able to do a sardine, and scale it up?....

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Quote Originally Posted by nodwell View Post
    My probe hasn’t arrived yet but I received a job request this morning. A fisherman at work has a frozen catch he wants me to scan and carve. I remember a post awhile back (pkunk I believe) where he stated that the heat generated from scanning was affecting the paint on the piece he was using. Don’t want the fish to thaw and cook on my baby.

Any thoughts on whether I should attempt this or decline the job?

Thanks
    Don
    There is no heat from the probe, but it might take some scales off. Guess he'd thank you for that? I think I'd try it -just watch it close for awhile at the beginning.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Quote Originally Posted by rjustice View Post
    I have not received my probe yet, but i have read several posts about taking 5 hours, 7 hours etc.... how big is your fish?... LMAO... you might be able to do a sardine, and scale it up?....

Ron
    Oh, I didn't think of the time factor! Guess you could open the lid once in awhile and pack some dry ice around it to refreeze.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Thanks for the input. I'll have to think about it for awhile and play with probe when it arrives. I will post results if I deside to try it - who knows could open up a new area to help pay for machine.

Don

You might want to scan it at a lower resolution to reduce the time to scan. I tend to think if it is really hard when you start, that you can scan it before it can get too soft. Another challenge is what are you going to attach it to your sled with? Double stick tape and glue are not going to be very good choices. May be drill through it and screw it down, then touch up the file once scanned to do away with the scan of the screw.... just some thoughts.

Roger

P.S. If you haven't gotten your scanner yet..... think you will get it before the fish gets freezer burn and rots ???? LMAO

Lightbulb

You put the screws up through the sled, no touch ups.
    Wait a minute, isn't the machine supposed to be sensetive to cold.
    That's one good chunk of frozen fish there.
    or is that a problem only when your are actually carving.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails frozenimages_1620_4070869.jpg  
    Last edited by Kenm810; 04-10-2007 at 07:11 PM.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

You could super freeze it with a nitrogen bath wear gloves and use tongs when working with liquid nitrogen. And spray a little part way through to keep it frozen. If you don'r have access to Liquid nitrogen yow might get clever with dry ice. You can invert a can of compressed gas duster and spray liguid onto the fish to keep it frozen.
    Mike G
    Custom wood working, etc, www.gmanind.com

Exclamation

Here's another idea. Make a plaster cast of the fish. Real fast & the fish can be returned to the freezer. Clear coat the plaster, scan, & discard.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

I came back cause I had a brain storm only to find that Pkunk had just posted the same idea..... guess its true that great minds think alike LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast