Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: board jigs, sleds, carriers

Want2b,

There are two means of sensing in use for operation. the first is an IR reflectance sensor remote sensing the xy distances of the board and the other is an electrical contact sensor for the cutter tip for z distances.

The IR reflectance sensor at the base of the z-axis measures the length and width of the board and is coordinated with the brass tracker wheel to provide rectangular dimensions of the board. Vertical distances are determined by the difference between the tip of the cutting bit touching both the brass tracker wheel and the flag arm that swings out on the other side of the track belts from the tracking wheel. The final measurement prior to cutting is then made with a touchdown at the swing plate. This collected information is then used to evaluate the board prior to cutting for the correct cutter, dimensions, and design considerations prior to cutting.

To the best of my understanding, this is what I believe is going on.

Regards,
    Jim

Howdy Jim,

For the most part you are correct. The board sensor is used to measure the width based on the Y axis movement steps that the controller sees. For the X it is used to find the ends of the board and the brass wheel tracking encoder counts the steps for the distance between each end of the board. The sensor is only turn on once one of the compression rollers drops down to tell the controller that the end of the board should show up in 3 1/2".

The FLAG ARM is call the bit plate. It is used in the measurement of the bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Want2b,

There are two means of sensing in use for operation. the first is an IR reflectance sensor remote sensing the xy distances of the board and the other is an electrical contact sensor for the cutter tip for z distances.

The IR reflectance sensor at the base of the z-axis measures the length and width of the board and is coordinated with the brass tracker wheel to provide rectangular dimensions of the board. Vertical distances are determined by the difference between the tip of the cutting bit touching both the brass tracker wheel and the flag arm that swings out on the other side of the track belts from the tracking wheel. The final measurement prior to cutting is then made with a touchdown at the swing plate. This collected information is then used to evaluate the board prior to cutting for the correct cutter, dimensions, and design considerations prior to cutting.

To the best of my understanding, this is what I believe is going on.

Regards,
    Jim
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Good to hear from you fwharris,

Thanks for your feedback! One question I still need to explore is the Universal Carrier Board (UCB) and your explanation. I assume the UCB was designed with the understanding you described. An uncertain possibility is that a custom software fix might be the possible answer. One that couldn't be known short of being the programmer implementing this operation.

The Carvewright CX is a remarkable design and development for all that can be done with proper implementation. The challenge occurs when an uninitiated the use, operation, and troubleshooting of operation features. Certainly, prior knowledge of engineering, programming, and machine behavior goes a long way toward the end user's independence from the angst of self-repair of a down machine.

The user forum and web-based information concerning its operation is great! I recently started to use the CarveWright Carvaholics Facebook site to enjoy the collective value of the existing CraveWright website and Facebook presence. This should be better advertised for those of us who have always neglected Facebook. Facebook is a questionable wasteland of information. So much for the Internet age and the current developments. I watch what Chat PTR will bring to our web experiences.

Cheers,
    Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12