Thread: Wanting to buy a custom pattern will pay for work

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Question Wanting to buy a custom pattern will pay for work

The 2 patterns I need are: (1) B24 bomber in head-on attack view (2) B24 bomber in quarter view about a 45 degrees angle showing the full plane. I will use to decorate a WWII memorabilia box containing items of my dad's 55 nail-biting missions in New Guinea, including his original flight diary he kept. I have searched everywhere for these patterns and have found many aircraft patterns but never find a B24. It just seems to be the 'right' decoration for a box that contains his history in defending Australia and his contribution to ending the war. I have photos for guidance to the artist if someone will speak up. Thanks

There is one here that may be able to help you out, if he steps up to the plate. Most of that depends on what life has dished out to him. He is good at what he does, but life keeps us all on our toes, and normally to busy to do much else, but tend to it.

3. Default

at least now I have some hope. Been looking and looking but haven't found a place or person to even ask yet. I reached out to Alan Malmstrom through linkedin but no response. Don't know of course if he even checks his site there or not. I think he would be a good choice but don't know anything more about him. The 1st pattern, front attack silhouette, should be pretty easy for someone that has learned the method. I have had the 2 carvers for more than 10 years but have always made signs or bought projects and could find a pattern to augment that from the depot. I was old when I got into this and even older now just seems hard to understand for my patience level now. But this box will be a family heirloom and not many mission diaries survived all these years so this is pretty special to make really awesome and pass down the line when I'm gone. All of those bombing missions down in the SW Pacific were treacherous even if no opposition was met. Just the mechanical and weather oppositions cost more lives for the 5th Air Corps than the Japanese opposition. I'm set on finding a B24 pattern for Dad's memorabilia box. Any chance you could refer me to the person you know? Or inform him/her of my post? I'm sure there is someone in this group that would do this but just won't see my post. Thanks to you.

Hi,

I found this free 3d model by Jack Dueri at https://www.3dforprint.com/3dmodel/c...iberator/10091. One of the reasons it free is its pretty low poly. Great for 3d printing and animation but hit or miss for cnc pattern making at least without a lot of work.

I ran it through several different techniques to get a pattern from the model with poor or mixed results but maybe something will be usable depending on the resolution you are looking for.

With my workflow to make cnc patterns, airplanes are hard for me to make good cnc patterns. I make 3d models and then either port as an STL to Carvewright designer or use different 3rd party software like Zbrush, Blender, or 3dCoat. But there are many other ways to make cnc patterns. Alan's technique of drawing the pattern is way better for this to capture all the critical sections cleanly.

My grandfather fought at Guadalcanal and we have nothing commemorating the family history. Best of luck to you and thanks to your dad for his service.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2023-03-12 14_25_07-CarveWright - [Untitled Project].png   B24 front.png   B24 side stl2png.png   B24 side.png  

Attached Files Attached Files

I see he found you. I tell folks he is here, but I do not give up any names as I do not want to set anyone up for something they do not want or have time for. Then having to back pedal their way out of the situation.This is a relaxed place to hang out and don't want to put pressure on anyone enjoying their time here.

@stoneandtimber, Hopefully you found a pattern maker for your pattern.

If you did, please share pics of your project so we can see the awesomeness of it.