Thread: Best way to build this. Fish Bait

1. Default Best way to build this. Fish Bait

I'm trying to build the following item on my Carvewright.

I thought the probe might be the best way to copy it. Would like to build it has one piece?

This is a little more complicated with the curves in it.

Any Help, Ideas or suggestions will be great appreciated.

8.5 " long
    1.42" wide
    2.11" tall

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1631.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	88963Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1624.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	88964Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1621.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	88965

My thought would obviously be a two sided carve . Your 'width' should be ok for regular bits cutting it out from a 1.5 inch thick board. Not a fisherman but its size gives me a clue it isn't for small fresh water fish. I've done some things with the probe and it can be done but the jig to make it work will be complex to keep it held while keeping in perspective for the length. A lot of work but I'm sure the arcs/tapers are critical to its function in the water so the probe might be the best way to keep them intact. To create it a designer would need to be able to measure multiple points to get the correct arcs/tapers for the entire length. Let us know how you make out.
    Rick H

It can be done either as a two sided carve or a single sided carve as long as you have good water proof glue. The pattern itself is super simple (based on your reference images).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2022-08-03 19_27_41-Window.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by oscarl48; 08-04-2022 at 10:45 AM. Reason: grammar

Had a little time so I decided to make the lure. Made the two halves from a 3/4 board, worked out ok but found clamping the two pieces with glue was a challenge. The taper made the pieces want to slide in every direction because of the glue. Used clamps and large rubber bands to hold it. Required a lot of sanding to blend the two halves. Had a light come on and decided to do a double side carve and use a 2x4. Ran both edges through the table saw to get squared corners for tracking, added tape and ran it. Learned several things new as I had never done one with wood thicker that 1". Found out cut path wasn't available due to the thickness. So I manually added tabs on the front while making the depth on both sides at .75 and .76. Got a prompt about several possible problems which I ignored while uploading and measuring the board. Machine couldn't verify the thickness so I manually entered what I got with a mic which was 1.51. Carve ran ok, looks good and no gluing necessary. Photos and MPC attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220808_134123.jpg   20220808_153116.jpg  

Very cool experiment. I am not a fisherman so no clue if a good lure coming out of the machine or not but it is nice carving.

I gave up early on two sided carves because my machine was always just slightly off. Tape and rubber bands are the way to go for glue up on these weird shapes. My bench belt sander does short work when doing two sided glue ups.

Thanks for sharing. Now you got to show us the big fish you catch with it.

Very nice, the carve looks like it will do the trick. I'm going to have to get some coin together and pull the trigger on the new software. As far as the gluing goes, what I do when the work keeps moving while clamping, I will sprinkle a little table salt on one side. The salt bites into the wood to help keep it in place while clamping.

Thank you, I also see the mpc can be sized to smaller carve. Up here we have musky which is a fairly large freshwater game fish and something like this could be put to use.

Here is a different variation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fish lure.png  

Realized I had forgotten to set center on the front and back , here is the corrected version. If you have already downloaded you can click on pattern and center both on the front and back. Deleted previous post. Amazing what runs thru your head laying in bed early in the morning.