Thread: Simple Wireless Phone Charger Base

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Simple Wireless Phone Charger Base

This might look like a block of wood, but it's a wireless phone charger. It's a simple carve with a cavity underneath to hold the coil and circuit board. There is a cut out for the USB charging plug. There's a hole so that you can see the charging LED status. The circuit board is from Adafruit in New York. Here is the link: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2162

Sometimes the coil is on a circular base rather than a square one. So I carved two different bases. I've made two of these now and they seem to work great. I know it works on iPhones with a thin case, but thick cases won't work. Not sure on Androids but if they support the Qi charging standard it should work. I also made a sled so carving future ones won't waste too much wood. I just used a satin varnish for the finish as I wanted the "block of wood on the desk look" ( what does it do?) On the photo you can see where I used the wrong screws for the circuit board and they came through. On the second one I made I used shorter screws! You could just use small stand-offs glued to the base then the board can be screwed into them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5206.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	88935Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5207.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	88934Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1032.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	88936

Looks like you've found an answer for the need of a convenient charging place. Not sure if Android has the technology either but it is an obvious fix for those that need one. Shows what thinking out of the box can do.
    Rock H

Very cool. Thinking inside the box.