Thread: cut path off center

Default cut path off center

Been working on some Xmas gifts early, got tired of last minute. Doing the Xmas tree dish for family. Found the Cut Path which is offset by appox 1/4 inch ended up wider on one side than the other. Pic is attached. Happened on multiple carves, have run before with no problem. Checked MPC and did the formats and new uploads. Moved to card to second machine, 1/2 way through it gave a power fluctuation error. Tried repetitive proceeds but had to give up. A search gave worn brushes as one possibility and power supply problem another. Changed brushes and had same problem with power fluctuations. Swapped power supplies between the two machines. Ran MPC on the power failure machine and had perfect run.
    Decided to change the Tracking Encoder on the first machine and see what failed. Ran two successive carves successfully. I can understand the changed encoder fixing the off-center tracking issue. Guess I'll have to wait for the 'other shoe to drop' on the power fluctuation. Had looked at the power supply for cracks and broken wires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220508_142120.jpg  

Not sure on the power issue, but the encoder malfunctioning could cause the offset issue. Thinking you changed out the Y axis encoder. The encoders do from time to time get dust in them causing them to miss read. They can be opened up and cleaned of dust, and should work fine after that.

Changed the Board Tracking Encoder. The carves were physically correct so I felt it wasn't losing info while carving but during relocation. Time will tell on both issues

Congrats on getting ahead of the Christmas rush! I still have not learned that skill.

Finally getting there, must be better time management skills, can't be age.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugsowner View Post
    Not sure on the power issue, but the encoder malfunctioning could cause the offset issue. Thinking you changed out the Y axis encoder. The encoders do from time to time get dust in them causing them to miss read. They can be opened up and cleaned of dust, and should work fine after that.
    Got to thinking about your comment about the dust and opened the Tracking Sensor up(fortunately hadn't thrown away) and found it had a lot of dust. Cleaned it out, didn't see any physical issues so I put it back in my spares box. When I get bored and looking for something to do I'll put back in and see what happens.
    Thx

Awesome, glad to hear you may have saved some coins. The encoder will most likely work yet. Once the dust fills the encoder, the dust gets to thick for the pick up to read the disc segments losing positioning on the axis it is monitoring. Y and Z axis movements are monitored with encoders, while the X axis is monitored by the board sensor.