Thread: machine head not going down

Default machine head not going down

I am having a problem with the head not going down. I have taken the side cover off and where the handle screws on seems to be locked up.
    If I take the handle off the gear spins fine. Just the rod going thru is like froze up.
    It seemed to work before I raised the head to put new brushes in motor

I take it when you go down the handle just clutches out. Sounds like a bind has happened in the movement. There are a set of gears that tie the two sides together mounted in the bottom under the belts. You have to remove the bottom cover to expose these gears. There you will find two pair of gears connected by a shaft. This is where I feel your issue lies. The handle has more torque on the way up. I think one of the gear sets as wedged causing this issue. The set on the key pad side are most likely the set bound up, but the other side could have bound, but the keypad side has the torque and transfers to the other side. The beveled gears are trying to climb over each other causing the bind is my thoughts here. Using care you could put a screwdriver in the gear teeth and see if they move. If you can grip the shaft in some manner such as padded vise grip type pliers may offer the grip you need to rotate the shaft and free it up. You may also loosen the lower shaft that ties the sides together and realign the gears.

Had a similar problem when I raised the head higher than normal. Removed the end cover opposite of the keypad. Gently used a pair of vise grips and slowly lowered the head by turning the vertical shaft. After a couple of turns it would then work with the crank ok. Cleaned all four posts and lubed, specifically the tops. Ran the head up and down several times but as it got higher was a lot more gentle and stopped when I felt a change. After a several runs everything seems ok.
    There is a procedure for aligning all four of the posts at support
    https://support.carvewright.com/alig...-corner-posts/
    Hope some help.
    Rick H

Thanks for the help got it working now have other problems