Thread: STL files

Default STL files

If I buy a STL file for a pattern from a 3rd party website can I just import into the designer software? or do I have to somehow change it to a .ptn file?

I don't have the newest designer software so don't know if things have changed but previously you would need the STL slicer or sculptor add-ons to import STL files.

My workflow is to create STL files (patterns) using 3rd party software and then import into designer using the STL add-on.

An alternative is to convert the STL to a height map image and that can be brought into designer directly.
    Last edited by oscarl48; 10-23-2021 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    I don't have the newest designer software so don't know if things have changed but previously you would need the STL slicer or sculptor add-ons to import STL files.

My workflow is to create STL files (patterns) using 3rd party software and then import into designer using the STL add-on.

An alternative is to convert the STL to a height map image and that can be brought into designer directly.
    Well I have a very old version of designer software (1.186), so I would need the STL slicer add-on, or try the other method you mentioned. Or maybe I can find someone that has the STL slicer send them the file and they can send a .ptn back to me, that would work as well, correct?

I don't really carve enough to justify another $200 for Slicer or Sculpter, and I'm not even sure they would be compatible with the 1.186 that I have to use.

Private message sent.