Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beading on the edges of rectangle or perimeter of circle

Default Beading on the edges of rectangle or perimeter of circle

I am making an ashtray and would like beading on the edge of the cigar rest and the perimeter of the ash reservoir like here: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ASHTRAY MULTI METAL.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	88750so far I have laid out the reservoir and rest: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIGAR ASHTRAY MOCK.pdf 
Views:	5 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	88749 but for the world of me cannot figure how to add the beading. "Help"

I tried to attach the mpc file but was not able to.

Good morning. I am intrigued since I am a cigar smoker. What do you carve them in?

As to your question, what software/add-ons do you have? Unfortunately I don't have any of the pattern building add-ons and only have basic skills with Designer basic so can't help but someone else may.

Let me know if you want a pattern made. I think it should be fairly quick with blender.

Did a quick pattern to see how I could do it. Pattern is the blank one with the following parameters:

bit optimization:best
    depth .5
    height 500
    draft: large

to customize it just add you favorite patterns as needed.

Example with my pirate face pattern.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2021-08-19 22_58_44-Window.png   2021-08-19 22_57_01-Window.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Really awesome what you have created again, I personally appreciate the time and effort you willingly and freely give to help other carvers.
    Thx, Rick H

Rick,

I learned a bit as well. I was unaware you can make ashtrays from wood and after researching a bit, I guess world wide, its the most common material for ashtrays.

taxque,

I didn't spend a lot of time on the model so if it needs anything let me know. No real measurements. I just eyeballed it so definitely not perfect.

Oscar
    Last edited by oscarl48; 08-20-2021 at 07:16 PM. Reason: clarification

Dang O,

This is sweet. I hve Designer 3 and was not able to get anything to work. I use scrap wood of just about any type for my ashtrays. Up until now the reservoir has been more cylindrical and I use a metal jar lid or old tuna can in the bottom. I am studying the mpc to understand how you did it.

Oscar,

Did you create the pattern in Designer of some other software?

If you could get your hands on some Ipe, I would think that would be a great choose for a carving like this. It is forever lasting and the burn ability of a rock. With a class A fire rating would take years of use without any issues. This wood is very hard, carbide only cutting. Ipe is used for decking on heavy equipment trailers and decks for homes, because it will last 30 to 50 years or more without any sealant, but can be sealed for even longer life and nice look. Without sealant will gray over the years. Strength is another reason for some it's uses as it is twice as strong as white oak.

taxque,

I use primarily Blender3d and Zbrush. They both have a steep learning curve but are amazing pieces of software. Blender is free. It is a software suite that does 3d modeling, 3d animation, 2d animation, physics engine simulations, video editing, compositing...lets just say it can get complex. I just picked up 3dCoat. Another 3d modeling software but I haven't learned how to use it yet.

Mugs,

I have never used Ipe so good info.

I seem to remember that Ipe is beautiful and hard but the dust is dangerous to inhale. Haven't used it or researched much on it, I apologize in advance if in error but wanted to mention the possibility of the dust being harmful. I think others have used it safely with good ventilation/vacuum. so pls check it out for yourself before carving any. Just wanted to make you aware of the possibility
    Rick H

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast