Thread: convex surface carving

Default convex surface carving

I would like to personalize the out side surface of a round lathe turning. I suppose I can make a sled to hold the object but what program method is available using the basic designer?

Wink

Are you are referring to carving on the length of the turning as opposed to the circumference?

Several years ago I was asked to create a personalized softball bat. Before any turning on the lathe I created an eight sided blank. I then made a sled to hold the blank so that a flat side was facing up for carving. I then carved that face using the text tool and centerline and arc when appropriate. I then rotated another flat side up in the sled and carved and then repeated once more. I now had a long eight sided blank with text carved on three sides. I removed the blank from the sled and centered on the lathe.

Now came the tricky part. As I rounded the blank on the lathe I would start to lose the top and bottom of some of the text letters so I would stop the lathe and (using my Dremel tool) replace any parts of the text that was turned off with the lathe. By being careful around the text area I was able to create this softball bat. When my niece and her graduating team mates gave it to their coach she must have not liked it because she started crying.

Can't believe that was 9 years ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1812.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	88742

Jim, can't believe she wasn't appreciative after all you put into it (haha). Beautiful job, I've had several instances where I wanted to apply something to a round object but couldn't. My projects were items that were already made but your method really opens the door to things I can make. Cool!
    Rick H

Thank you greatly, Jim. Yours was the only suggestion, so even more special! I will try it out soonest!

Jim, I would be carving on the circumference of a 5.5" diameter round blank. I can see your method will work there also. The finished project will (hopefully) be a yarn bowl and with not too many letters on it. Maybe "Mom" or something similar. Thanks again, it's really fun when doors are opened, with a little help, and new ideas come flying out!

Hey I'm glad that I inspired some ideas for you guys. Best of luck with your project and I hope that you can share a picture when your done.