Thread: Creating a 3D carving to cast

Default Creating a 3D carving to cast

I've wanted to create a 3D casting using the Carvewright to create the model to mold. This presented quite the challenge but thought it thru and will relate how I accomplished it for those who might be interested. I choose a humming bird pattern and mirrored the pattern and carved to 1/2 inch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails humming carve.jpg  

Next I needed to release the patterns. I usually run the patterns upside down thru the drum sander to release but the humming bird pattern must by angled and the beak was going to get sanded off if I continued.

You might be able to see that in the picture. I then had to move to the scroll saw to release the patterns.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	humming sanded.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	88707Click image for larger version. 

Name:	humming released.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	275.1 KB 
ID:	88708

The next part was challenging. To mate the two halves. I did this with 1/4 " pegs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails humming matched.jpg  

I then packed the sand over the 1st half and flipped over and added the 2nd half and packed with sand the second half and preceded to cast the resulting mold.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	humming 1st half.jpg 
Size:	374.9 KB 
ID:	88711Click image for larger version. 

Name:	humming 2nd half.jpg 
Size:	530.2 KB 
ID:	88710

I used a scratch awl in the casting sand to help recreate the lost beak. Here's a couple of shots of the results. I'm pretty happy with the 3D affect. Thanks for reading and I hope you found this interesting. I would appreciate any questions or comments. Thanks Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails humming cast.jpg   humming 3d.jpg  

Really cool, your sharing the process with pics helps me understand what all is involved. I think it's great you managed it in your home shop. Not sure I'm ready to jump in but definitely and interesting project.
    Thx, Rick H

Nice work, I cut the tabs then use a spindle sander, or on smaller carves a rotary tool with a small sander. If in a tight spot I will use a pointed burr to remove the tab. I could see where a drum sander would remove some of the carve.

Super cool. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Want2b. Mugsowner, and Oscar48. I was using 3/4" HDF with this project. I suppose I could have planed it down to 1/2" and used tabs, but releasing with the drum sander has worked so well in the past and leaves such a nice smooth back surface which I needed to mate the two halves. Like the old saying goes, "there's more than one way to skin a cat".

Again thanks for the comments.