Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: From carving to casting. A plaque is born.

Default From carving to casting. A plaque is born.

It's been several years since I posted and I doubt anyone even remembers me. Anyway I just completed a project that has been on my bucket list for several years. That project was to create a mold with the Carvewright and then cast it in metal.
    I first carved in poplar but realized that the end grain was going to be too rough to give a good casting. In order to rule out end grain I carved in MDF (medium density fiberboard) The MDF had too much chip out. I then tried HDF (high density fiberboard) and am very pleased with the smooth finish. I am attaching a pic of the poplar and the HDF.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W622 carve.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	266.6 KB 
ID:	88695

I next place the carve face up in the bottom of the casting flask and pack with casting sand.

Name:	W622 in flask.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	343.6 KB 
ID:	88696

I then flip the flask over and apply the top part of the two part casting flask. A powder is added to keep the top half from sticking to the bottom half. Sand is then added and packed in the top half.

Name:	W622 flipped.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	88697

A pouring hole (the sprue) is added to the top half as well as 2 vent holes. The top half is lifted and the carving removed leaving a hollow imprint in the sand. The top half is put back in place.

Name:	W622 top.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	258.8 KB 
ID:	88698

For this trial run I choose to melt some aluminum scrap and poured into the mold. I then waited about 10 long minutes and then separated the two halves to reveal the casting.

Name:	W622 freshly cast.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	353.8 KB 
ID:	88699

I then cut off the excess metal from the sprue and the vent holes, do a bit of sanding, then painting, and then finally sanding the paint off the high spots. I am pleased with the font I used as it gives a vintage look that I was after. I can see many new castings on my horizon as I continue to be amazed by the capabilities of the Carvewright. I hoped you enjoyed this thread. Jim

Name:	W622 final.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	240.9 KB 
ID:	88700

From one Wisconsinite to another welcome back. I like the way the casting came out. I been considering doing a casting out of concrete for a burial marker. Have to agree that these machines can do great work and limits that can be hard to reach, if you let your mind wander bit.

Thanks Mugsowner. I wish you the best on your casting adventure also.

Another awesome project, I never would have thought using the carver for the mold. Final project turned out great Never done any casting, definitely peeked my interest.
    Rick H

Good job, thanks for sharing...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast