Thread: once again tracking roller error

Default once again tracking roller error

Finished my first 4 projects. Now starting my next batch.....but.....
    Getting VERY tried of spending time with this machine. Have double checked all the suggestions from last time. Board is fine. Masking tape on.
    Have found two issues that werent there last time with this error.
    Board sometimes gets hung in the black squaring plate cutout for the brass tracking roller and then gets crooked. (That may have been the "jerk" I saw last time)
    Also the machine is measuring a 24 inch board at 17.1 inches and not the 24. The board is 14 inches wide.
    Compression rollers are dropping. Have cleaned everything multiple times and the machine has not carved yet.
    Any more thoughts, before I give up?

Not sure about all the issues. The board is measuring 17 for a 24 inch board. That sounds like the 7 inch rule for the rollers. If the board size in your project is 24 inches you must add 7 inches to the actual board, 3.5 inches for the in side and 3.5 for the out side for the roller system to work. The actual physical board would need to be 31 inches.
    Can't answer the hanging up issue, haven't done a full 14" wide carve, may be an issue with the squareness of the board allowing a corner to get hung up in a slot..
    Good luck, Rick H

The carving is only 12 inches wide and 12 inches long. Its a jig, nothing fancy - just a large shallow hole (.125 in) within a 14 inch wide and 24 inch long board.
    The board has moved end to end within the machine twice out of perhaps 12 tries....

I'm thinking the sliding squaring plate may be to tight. I do not like to run the plate very tight at all. Some recommend using two playing cards as a gauge for the plate to make sure it is not tight. For the board to hit the notch, something is causing the board to travel at an angle after getting the board sensor reading. Could be the sliding plate. I would recommend adjusting the squaring plate and trying again. If that don't work let us know. I am going to be in the area of my computer this weekend and will be checking back during the weekend. is the board supported when it runs off the roller bed. The weight of the board could cause this as well, when hanging on a slight angle, there may be enough board on the belts to allow for smooth strait movement causing the board to twist a bit. I have rollers to carry the board on both sides of machine and a couple extra for working with very long boards.

Thanks again. I solved this issue - it was actually in the software - I had the board settings the length of the board and not compensating for the extra 7 inches needed. Changed the board length setting and it worked (senior moment, I think).
    However, I am still getting tracking sensor errors - but I just hit enter again and it has worked twice now without doing anything after the initial re-clean and blow and tape. Your suggestion of the sliding plate is one that I thought of since it seems pretty wobbly when there is no board in the machine. I will try the playing card trick.... The longest board I have cut has been 24 inches....thus far!

Do you have Sand Paper Belts? They roll under on the keypad side. Very hard to see. It will cause Tracking Errors as the folded over belt raises the board off the tracking roller AND drive the board down HILL from the rolled up belts and jam against the Sliding Plate.

I RIP a section off my rolled up belts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02202_WEB.jpg   DSC02201_WEB.jpg   DSC02200_WEB.jpg   DSC02198_WEB.jpg  

Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

The machine we are working with here is a CX I believe, stated earlier in another post by JohnM57 was that he just got a new machine a few months ago.

So no Sand Paper Belts.... CX.

Another option I found once.... The 4 smooth rails the whole head rides up and down on with the hand crank. I had tracking problems and found the screws in the bottom of the 2 smooth rails next to the keypad side were loose. Fixed from the underside of the machine.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com