Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tracking Roller error

Post Tracking Roller error

Now I am getting a tracking roller error message. Have looked through the manual twice completely and nowhere does it mention a "tracking roller".... compression rollers, tracking sensor roller, along with front and back rollers.
    Just what is the "tracking roller"? And how do I clear the message? I have cleaned it 3 times with air and a vacuum and wiped the board sensor. I also run the vacuum while its carving. Is this machine as finicky as the older versions?
    Thanks for any insight.

Not sure how old your machine is, but I don't think anything changed as far as tracking goes. your tracking errors come from one of two locations normally. The brass roller, located on the key pad side of machine between the traction belts, is one area. there should be a o ring on the roller to help it track. The bottom of the board causes issues with the roller. Voids in the board cause the roller to stop while the belts are still running and will send that message. This can be fix some times by placing masking tape on the bottom edge of the board, so the the roller keeps spinning, some folks put tape on every time to assist the roller. The other common area that sends this message, is the compression rollers. The rollers can be checked on the key pad to see what they are reading. I have not done that in a while now, so not sure of which buttons you have to hit to get to the screen, but I do know that you can't really mess anything up pushing the wrong buttons. Hope this helps a little anyway. If not let us know and we can look further.

The tracking sensor roller is the one giving you the error. Its job is to follow the edge of the board so the machine knows where it is positioned along the length of the board. Any slippage causes the machine to warn you the carve is likely to be messed up. Almost every time I have gotten a tracking error it has been caused by the board. Either a bow causes it to lift and not track, an imperfection does the same or a very hard wood. One of the earliest users has been teased about buying shares in 3M due to his recommendation of always using masking tape on the bottom edge for traction for the sensor, it does help a lot. I'm a believer, easier and cheaper to put on a strip of tape than have a carve go bad and ruin a board.
    Luck,
    Rick H

Quote Originally Posted by Mugsowner View Post
    Not sure how old your machine is, but I don't think anything changed as far as tracking goes. your tracking errors come from one of two locations normally. The brass roller, located on the key pad side of machine between the traction belts, is one area. there should be a o ring on the roller to help it track. The bottom of the board causes issues with the roller. Voids in the board cause the roller to stop while the belts are still running and will send that message. This can be fix some times by placing masking tape on the bottom edge of the board, so the the roller keeps spinning, some folks put tape on every time to assist the roller. The other common area that sends this message, is the compression rollers. The rollers can be checked on the key pad to see what they are reading. I have not done that in a while now, so not sure of which buttons you have to hit to get to the screen, but I do know that you can't really mess anything up pushing the wrong buttons. Hope this helps a little anyway. If not let us know and we can look further.
    Machine is about 4 weeks old.
    Is this "brass" roller considered the "tracking roller"? There is no mention of the tracking roller in the manual. The error message was "clear tracking roller"... The wood (maple) is perfect - no issues.
    I also had problems with the board running off and stopping during board measuring. Not sure why, but I gave it a push and it reconnected and worked. The board is 8 inches longer than the design.
    I have not checked the compression rollers, but did clean them and blew out from behind the washers as per manual. I could not get to the key pad instructions, but will try again.
    Thank you...

Will try that. But the maple board was just cut on 4 days ago by a hardwood shop that I have worked with for years and does premium work. The board did lay flat and had no depressions or otherwise imperfections.
    Thanks!
    John

Funny, got it to work on the backside - keyhole and a small carve, but then it failed me again on the front side. Measuring issues. Literally ran the board out from under both rollers.
    Getting too frustrated with this machine. My older Carvewright I had completed some 40 pieces before I had too little time to do it. Now that I am retired and lots of time, this brand new one doesnt work.
    Brand new (4 pieces done almost perfectly and perhaps 5-6 hours of carving time on it) and my blood pressure is going through the roof. I can afford the moeny, but I cant afford the physical issues...... my genetics arent in my favor...
    I will give it one more try, but if it doesnt want to work it will be gone. How long is one allowed to return it?

Lets address the two issues.

First is the tracking roller issue. Maple is very hard and very smooth. We recommend a strip of masking tape on the bottom of the board so the brass roller has something soft to bite into.

Next possibility.... Your in and out feed tables may be adjusted too HIGH and when the board is driven up on the metal roller of the table it can lift the board off the brass Roller.

Then we have the issue with the board driving right out of the machine while measuring. Two things can cause this.... A board thinner than 3/4 actual inch. But more likely is the while measuring the board sensor looks for the Rubber Compression roller to DROP then it starts looking for the board edge. If the rear compression roller never drops then the board goes right out of the machine.... The compression rollers have a micro switch. If you do not have dust collection then the blowing around dust can land on the resting plate for the compression roller. Over time the layer builds up to the thickness that the roller will not drop enough to let the micro switch drop in the slot. See Picture... Best way to clean the dust. Crank down on a block of wood leaving enough room to get a air gun in and blow it clean. On Sensor Data you will find you can monitor the switch by cranking down on a board and un cranking. Good Luck in Retirement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01043.JPG   DSC01042.JPG   DSC01044_WEB.jpg   DSC01043_WEB.jpg  

Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 05-17-2021 at 10:05 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I have encountered issues with the board running out due to wood color. Light and dark colored boards seem hard for the board senor to pick up on. I put tape on the top side where the senor looks to get around this issue. i put the tape in a T shaped pattern. One piece across where it will measure width, this you can decide when placing board into machine. the other piece goes from the first piece of tape to the end of board in the location of where the senor looks during the second process of measuring board. The truck moves to the same spot every time to measure the length. That will be a couple inches off the keypad side.

Thanks for the tips. I have not tried the masking tape as yet. Interesting in that all 5 of my projects thus far have been on maple and it is indeed very smooth and light in color. All are 3/4 inch (actual measurement)
    I do have the dust collection system running as it carves (5hp shop vac). I have noticed a considerable amount of dust buildup on the compression rollers which I have removed - even with the vacuum operating).
    I have checked the feed tables and they are not too high. They do not turn while the machine is operating, but turn freely by hand. The board running out from under the rollers has only happened once, in the most recent attempt.
    I am guessing that its dust somewhere, but the manual doesnt have enough info in it to even diagnose, let alone fix the issue. Nothing on you tube either that I can find...
    Thank you for all the help!

The boards are indeed very light in color.... not having worked with maple very often, I dont know if the color is "out of the ordinary" for maple.
    Interesting on the tape placement. I havent noticed where it stops for this measurement. Tape is going to be my next attempt at fixing this.
    Now another problem - I have already carved the backside (keyhole) into the project - is there a way to bypass the backside carve when I restart?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast