Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 18 pin cable

How on earth Do I end up bring up pictures in this place?
    I upgrade the pictures to add but I still can’t understand it.

I believe lt is one sided with the ends the same. It has the 1mm.

Let us see if you are loading photos correctly. In the lower right corner of the reply screen there is a button Go Advanced. This is the area you need to in to post pictures to the site forum. Hope this helps, if not yelp and we can look into it further.

Once in the advanced screen scroll down to additional options section. Under attachments you will see Manage Attachments. Click on Manage Attachments. Now you want to click add files, then browse. Select the file you want to upload, then click upload. I hope this helps as well.

I have not found an exact replacement in stock - most are much smaller in length. I have a few suggestions.

Samtec offers a 20-pin cable in the length that you need. I would try trimming one with a razor blade down to 18 pins. Unfortunately it is not stocked at the electronic distributors, so there will be a lead time from the factory. Here is an example:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...GttXS2eQ%3D%3D

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cable.PNG 
Views:	9 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	88663

It would be worth your while to contact the factory directly to see if they can get you exactly what you need:

https://www.samtec.com/products/fj

Name:	Samtec.PNG 
Views:	6 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	88664

eBay has Chinese sellers offering 18 pin cables, but not in the length that you need:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15352512601...oAAOSwpAhdAJXM

Name:	flex.PNG 
Views:	5 
Size:	487.8 KB 
ID:	88665

It might be possible to use a cable extender to join two shorter cables to fit your machine. I did not find an 18 pin extender, but a 20 pin could work if you insert the flex cables to the one side. The extender would need to be mounted on something ridged in the machine.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RWDRCV6...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Name:	extender.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	580.9 KB 
ID:	88666

Another possibility is to use two 14 pin cables. Cut 4 positions off one, trim the edge of the other, and use the two in place of the 18, taped together. It may sound a little crazy, but I think that it could work. Be advised that my 14 pin cable from CarveWright is only 21" long.

If it were me, I would first contact Samtec. If that didn't pan out I would try two 14 pin cables as described.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Roger Moore from Canada contacted me and he said he has one if you are willing to pay the shipping. If interested contact me here through notifications or on FB Carveaholics group or messenger..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Hello, fwharris. Yes l am interested. I sorry I didn’t come back soon I had a light stroke but getting better.
    I would like to get Roger Moore about the cable.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFTAMan View Post
    Hello, fwharris. Yes l am interested. I sorry I didn’t come back soon I had a light stroke but getting better.
    I would like to get Roger Moore about the cable.
    I just sent you his email info.. look in your "notifications" tab...
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

The Pitch of the 18 pin FFC Flat Flex Cable is finer or closer together and thinner than the 14 pin.

If you put a 14 pin with it's wider pitch or thickness into a 18 pin socket the wider 14 pin metal will SHORT Circuit the finer 18 pin socket.

In the years past someone did just that and when they turned on the machine the shorted socket pins wiped out the $400.00 plus Computer.

You are honestly better off buying a A907 Kit. With a 14 pin cable and the circuit boards for both ends.

On the Facebook Alt parts page Joe is now selling 14 pin FFC Cables. So future replacements will be easier to get.

Remember the FFC Cable is a "Consumable" as in it can only bend so many times before it snaps... It will snap sooner if you have any KINKS or SHARP Bends in the area that moves.

Good Luck.

AL

In some pictures I call the 18 pin a 16 pin... I just cannot count higher than 10 fingers....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06680_WEB.jpg   DSC06680a_WEB.jpg   DSC06682_WEB.jpg   DSC06657_WEB.jpg  

DSC06655_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thank you! I’ll get in touch with him.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12