Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 18 pin cable

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 18 pin cable

Hi
    I have the original Craftsman Compucarve A series CNC.
    I had it in storage for several years. I decided to get it out, clean it up, and get it going again.
    Unfortunately I found that the 18 pin cable ribbon to the spindle head was damaged by a rat.
    I called Carvewright to get another one but I was told that the ribbon was discontinued since 2007 and I would have to upgrade my CNC to get the 14 pin ribbon. That would cost hundreds of dollars.
    I can’t afford a new machine, so I’m hoping to get one from someone who upgraded their machine.
    I sure appreciate it.

Sorry to hear about your 18 pin cable. Due to it's thinness it would let conductors snap inside the plastic leading to many problems from the bit driving into the board and jamming, Air Carves, Board Sensor reading errors. I will post your request on the CarveWright facebook page as it gets allot of attention. Ask them to come here and contact you.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thank you! I need all the help.

A cable may be available through electronics suppliers. Please measure the exact length and width of the cable, and if possible the spacing between conductors (will likely be in metric). Also a close-up photo of one end showing the conductors. I buy electronics regularly and may be able to find a supplier for you.

Once in the advanced screen scroll down to additional options section. Under attachments you will see Manage Attachments. Click on Manage Attachments. Now you want to click add files, then browse. Select the file you want to upload, then click upload. I hope this helps as well.

I have not found an exact replacement in stock - most are much smaller in length. I have a few suggestions.

Samtec offers a 20-pin cable in the length that you need. I would try trimming one with a razor blade down to 18 pins. Unfortunately it is not stocked at the electronic distributors, so there will be a lead time from the factory. Here is an example:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...GttXS2eQ%3D%3D

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cable.PNG 
Views:	9 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	88663

It would be worth your while to contact the factory directly to see if they can get you exactly what you need:

https://www.samtec.com/products/fj

Name:	Samtec.PNG 
Views:	6 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	88664

eBay has Chinese sellers offering 18 pin cables, but not in the length that you need:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15352512601...oAAOSwpAhdAJXM

Name:	flex.PNG 
Views:	5 
Size:	487.8 KB 
ID:	88665

It might be possible to use a cable extender to join two shorter cables to fit your machine. I did not find an 18 pin extender, but a 20 pin could work if you insert the flex cables to the one side. The extender would need to be mounted on something ridged in the machine.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RWDRCV6...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Name:	extender.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	580.9 KB 
ID:	88666

Another possibility is to use two 14 pin cables. Cut 4 positions off one, trim the edge of the other, and use the two in place of the 18, taped together. It may sound a little crazy, but I think that it could work. Be advised that my 14 pin cable from CarveWright is only 21" long.

If it were me, I would first contact Samtec. If that didn't pan out I would try two 14 pin cables as described.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

I believe lt is one sided with the ends the same. It has the 1mm.

Let us see if you are loading photos correctly. In the lower right corner of the reply screen there is a button Go Advanced. This is the area you need to in to post pictures to the site forum. Hope this helps, if not yelp and we can look into it further.

Thank you. I am a little slow right now I appear to have a little stoke.

The cable is 23 long and 3/4”. It has 18 points at the end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast