Thread: Need help, I am very new

Default Need help, I am very new

My Sister (Betty Woodall) gave me her machine after my brother in law passed away (Richard Woodall). Richard was the one who used the machine while Betty found great patterns and ideas. Long story short, I have all the manuals and assorted paperwork Richard placed in 3 large binders, which I have read and will try to make in the future.

I found this on a Facebook page several years ago, but Richard was going though cancer and not using the Carve Wright. I would like some help to take this picture and make it into a pattern. I am active with a few Military Veteran Groups that I would like to make this cross for.

I am so new at this and have played with some of the software but when I try to convert it to a pattern, it does not come out for me.

Any help would be great. Thank you in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0778.JPG  

Roadkill, welcome aboard.

Do you have any of the software add-ons for the carvewright machine? May help better answer the question.

Regardless, that is going to be a difficult pattern (due to all the small detail) unless its large. That example looks like it was cut with a laser using a narrow beam while our machine uses a 1/16" router bit for carving or cutting. The 1/32" bit requires the Pro version of Designer I believe, but even that is many time bigger than the cutting laser beam.

I could be wrong though.

Do you have access to a vector image or a high definition/quality image of the pattern?

Okay definitely doable with a bit of work.

Get the best graphic of the cross you can find.

Convert the graphic to black and white in a decent graphics program and clean up all the noise artifacts in the image. You can replace any or all text as needed for clarity.

Import into Designer as an image and all set. Designer is pretty powerful as part of a creation pipeline to make patterns. There are a bunch of ways to make patterns and this is only one way.

I did the enclosed test in about 20 minutes total. It is 12" x 14" carved at .15". If you take your time cleaning up the graphic it should look pretty decent. I have a ton of homework and can't spend too much time today to play unfortunately.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2021-03-30 18_56_52-Window.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Welcome. Also join the CarveWright Facebook Page too for quick help as you work through this first project. And get to know the machine.

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com