Thread: Controller Replacement? available?

1. Default Controller Replacement? available?

Hello,

I turned on the machine today and got the top row of black boxes on the LCD.

- tried contrast - works lightens and darkens

- after turn on when I press enter it seems to do the homing process but nothing more

- have two cards - have formatted both and updated firmware

- checked card pins and sockets - look OK

- checked cables and ribbons -all seem OK

- power supply L2 coil seems firm - no movement

- as the lcd does have power to it and the machine does some homing I am assuming the power supply is OK. Would that be a good assumption?

So am leaning towards replacing the
    Controller Electronics Board Enclosure Assembly MWM A2065

But, perhaps I am blind... I can not find it in the parts store. Just curious about the cost.
    Do they sell these?

Does anyone have a used one available?

Thanx in advance for any advice.

-

Last I knew they did sell them and the price I believe was $350. They will program the new one with your machine ID before shipping. Your best bet seems to be to contact LHR for more info on that. Hopefully one of the members who are really good on the trouble shooting will check in and give you feedback on the trouble.
    Rick H

If the controller were bad I would think the machine would not even go through the homing process. I would pretend everything was OK and try an operation such as Measure to see if it works. I can give you the key sequence if you want to try. Also call tech support before buying a controller.

4. Default

Thank you Rick H. and DickB.

I tried the measure button. It also moves a bit like homing but then stops and nothing else.

I would like to try the key sequences you are suggesting. I will try anything at this point.

I was able to het a new power supply from Henry1 yesterday but that did not change anything.

Thanx in advance to all for any ideas. or if you have some parts for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by dickcash View Post
    Thank you Rick H. and DickB.

I tried the measure button. It also moves a bit like homing but then stops and nothing else.

I would like to try the key sequences you are suggesting. I will try anything at this point.

I was able to het a new power supply from Henry1 yesterday but that did not change anything.

Thanx in advance to all for any ideas. or if you have some parts for sale.

You would be further ahead to buy a used machine I call carvewright and the controller they want $750 US dollars
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

After pressing 7 (Measure), press 1 to select Length (nothing will happen until you select Length or Width). If the board moves, the controller is probably OK and it is either a bad display or a bad cable or connection.

One row of black squares is typically a card issue, not inserted or formatted. Two rows of black squares or sram mssg is bad controller.
    Last edited by lynnfrwd; 03-15-2021 at 04:56 PM.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

8. Default

Thanks DickB
    Pressing 7 makes it do a homing routine but no further action pressing 1.

Hi Henry1... you are correct,,, I have connected with Mike... Thanx again.

and lynnfrwd.
    can you direct me to the link to buy a new controller?

Rather than buy a new controller... Another option is to send your controller and card to LHR to test... It costs.... But I don't think it is the Controller... I think it is a card issue.

I would format the card and load designer again.

Do you squeeze the card to pull it out? This bends in the metal of the card and has been known to cause the card to go bad. Many like me use a strip of tape as a handle to pull the card preventing the squeeze.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    One row of black squares is typically a card issue, not inserted or formatted. Two rows of black squares or sram mssg is bad controller.
    Rick H posted above that if you buy a new controller from LHR that they will program in your serial number. Is that correct?

If so, then it must be done through that DB-25 port. Interesting....

AL Who
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com