Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My wood working shop burned down

Default My wood working shop burned down

Well shoot, my wood shop started on fire 3am February 12. I tried to break out around the chimney and used the fire extinguisher but just not enough. Got my snowplow out and my pickup out of the carport but all my tools and stuff are a goner. It took our fire department 45 minutes to get here, it was pretty much a goner by then. It was also -17°F at the time and their hoses froze after about 2 minutes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	woodshopburn.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	88619
    Here is a picture of the shop right after we got it built back in 2000. We built this ourselves over a 2 or 3 year span. Materials for it back then were around $25,000

Name:	GarageAllSides7-26-2000.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	452.7 KB 
ID:	88620

This is a picture from shortly after I got my Carvewright machine (2009)

Name:	InsideShopWideShot.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	306.1 KB 
ID:	88622

This summer I just got all my cabinets built under the carport and all my sealed burls organized. A log I was going to carve a laying bear out of.

Name:	GarageCarPortCabs7-1-2020.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	868.4 KB 
ID:	88621

Had insurance but underestimated the the value by about half. Me and my family are probably to old to rebuild this ourselves. Had contents insurance too, hoping that will give us enough to at least get the outside of the building rebuilt.

Here is what it looks like today. Still Winter here so haven't gotten started on clean up yet. It got hot enough to melt everything made out of aluminum.

Name:	today.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	247.4 KB 
ID:	88623

Kind of bummed out. Had just about every kind of tool in that shop. Almost anything I could think of I could go up there and make. Had some semi-finished projects up there as well. At some point I would like to ask if any of you folks would mind running off an item or two on your carve wrights, that I could buy from you to replace a couple of them. I had made patterns of them and had them on the forum. Going to be quite a while before I can replace the tools that were in there.

~Mike
    If at first you do succeed, try to hide your astonishment.
    My photos my photo hosting site went out of business, some of my photos on facebook are set for everyone to see.

Mike's Patterns

Oh man what a loss. Really sorry to hear about this. I know there were a lot of memories made out of that shop and I am glad that you were able to share some of those with us here in the CarveWright community.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Sorry to hear of your loss, fire can be your best friend or your worse enemy. Been through a few fires with friends and family. they are never good. The best thing to come out of this, is there was no one injured or worse. I hope all works out for you, and I'm sure if you need any help, if it can be done, would be done here.

I'm so sorry. Thankfully it sounds like no one was hurt. But that really, really sucks.

Can't imagine what you're going through, can only sympathize and be glad nobody was injured.
    Rick H

So very sorry, I can't imagine what you and your family are going through. I am in Canada on the USA border but more than willing to help out with carving or patterns. Just will spend a little more time in the mail, until the borders open up. This may be a good time for all of us to take count of what we have in our shop and if we are insured properly. Thank you for sharing and best of luck.

Oh, Mike. I am so sorry to hear this.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Because of this burn down, some advice for you all. Make sure your insurance coverage is high enough to cover your shop (including labor to build, which I did not, if like me you got to old for a project that size) and contents. Take a lot of pictures of your shop inside and out and your tools. I had quite a few pictures but not many of what was in my 50 feet of cabinet drawers.

Thanks ~Mike
    some of the cabinets in my wood shop right after I got them built back in 2001

Name:	Cabinets Partial04.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	375.5 KB 
ID:	88624
    My photos my photo hosting site went out of business, some of my photos on facebook are set for everyone to see.

Mike's Patterns

So very sorry! What a beautiful shop .What a great loss! Is there a go-fund me acct or similar page?

Quote Originally Posted by judgejrt View Post
    So very sorry! What a beautiful shop .What a great loss! Is there a go-fund me acct or similar page?
    No, I had insurance though only about half of what it will likely cost. They are working on the contents part. I'm hoping that with the contents coverage there will be at least enough to get the building built back. Thanks ~Mike

Mike's Patterns

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast