Thread: Anybody ever figure out the feeds and speeds?

Default Anybody ever figure out the feeds and speeds?

I'm just curious if anybody ever took the time to figure out the machines feeds and speeds of various tooling and optimization settings?

The reason I'm asking is I have a fair amount of .125" ABS plastic sheet I'd like to cut out on my CW.
    I know it's not on the approved material list, but I still suspect it could be done. actually I know some have done small amounts of ABS in the past.
    I'll be using a polished 3/16" single flute cutter to increase the chip load, but I thought if I could figure out what combination would give me the fastest feed rate it might help to prevent melting, even if I had to use odd offsets to get the part sizes I need.
    The Carvewright tends to linger in the cut more than I'd like it to, ABS needs to plunge fast and go like hell and throw the chips to keep the material cool, so every little bit will help.

It wouldn't be so bad to run some tests, but if I decide to do it I need to get my vacuum fixture table built and invest in sheets of material, at that point I'm kinda committed to making it work.

I'd just feel better if I could cheat the system a little more and gain every advantage I can.

Thanks,

Justin Pierce

Justin Pierce, aka spalted
    *Pattern Editor (Probe) * Centerline * Dxf Import * STL Importer * Version 3 Standalone * Advanced 3D * Advanced 2D * Conforming Vectors * Rotary *C Machine *Rock Chuck

LHR gave me a Tip years ago that I use all the time to cut sheet Fiber Plastic. You set up your Vector lines. I do not use tabs as I use 1/4 inch strips of double sided tape to hold the cut tag. I assign the 1/4 inch bull nose bit and doing this locks the feed rate in what I call 1st gear. Normal vector is you assigned a 1/8 inch cutting bit would be 2 speed... Going slow on corners and like a bat out of hell on straight runs. This caused my FRP to come unstuck as it was feeding TOO fast... I also only use a 1/8 inch shaft circuit board bits.

SO assign Vector. Select 1/4 inch Bull nose bit. Any 1/4 inch bit. Then actually use a 1/8 inch bit.

If double stick tape does not work for you. The CNC guys use 2 strips of blue Painters Tape and Super Glue with Activator between the pieces. Cleans up easier.

I use a 1/4 to 1/8 inch bit adapter. Hope this method works for you. I use a Carrier Board with scrap pieces on each end. I use place on END rather than Center for predictable results.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC05437_WEB.jpg   Flip 4.jpg   DSC05348_WEB.jpg   DSC02306_WEB.jpg  

DSC01454_WEB.jpg   DSC09377_WEB.jpg   DSC09390_WEB.jpg   DSC09393_WEB.jpg  

Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Here I show a Circuit Board Bit and a Roto Zip 1/4 to 1/8 inch adapter. Don't use the Roto Zip bits in the CW as they are able to BEND as they are used for Drywall and thin board. The holder works great.

In the beginning I was cutting 6 inch long bits from my Rotary name tag Engraver but they are $65.00 EACH and don't last long with the Granular Nature of the FRP I cut. CHEAP Circuit Board Bits on eBay work. I got that box for $10.00. I just bought 2 Post Office Priority boxes full of the bits from a guy that has a lot of them in the Midwest. Let me know if you want his contact info. He was on FB Market Place.

For the CarveTite, I bought a 1/2 inch ER 20 deal... So it will use a ER 20 1/8 inch insert. Hoping the Length will work out.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02590a_WEB.jpg   DSC02590_WEB.jpg   DSC03577_WEB.jpg   DSC03581_WEB.jpg  

Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Here I show a Circuit Board Bit and a Roto Zip 1/4 to 1/8 inch adapter. Don't use the Roto Zip bits in the CW as they are able to BEND as they are used for Drywall and thin board. The holder works great.

In the beginning I was cutting 6 inch long bits from my Rotary name tag Engraver but they are $65.00 EACH and don't last long with the Granular Nature of the FRP I cut. CHEAP Circuit Board Bits on eBay work. I got that box for $10.00. I just bought 2 Post Office Priority boxes full of the bits from a guy that has a lot of them in the Midwest. Let me know if you want his contact info. He was on FB Market Place.

For the CarveTite, I bought a 1/2 inch ER 20 deal... So it will use a ER 20 1/8 inch insert. Hoping the Length will work out.

AL
    Thank you very much AL!

I thought I recalled you posting about the bit speeds a years ago, but I couldn't find it, I sure appreciate the info!

Did you ever build a vacuum sled?
    I have a pump but I still haven't made the sled yet.
    I might just try the double sided tape for this project.

I've never routed FRP but I have routed extruded fiberglass, not on the Carvewright, but on big industrial routers.
    PCD or Polycrystalline Diamond bits have worked really well for that, but they are expensive but with the amount you do it might still be cost effective to use PCD.

*Pattern Editor (Probe) * Centerline * Dxf Import * STL Importer * Version 3 Standalone * Advanced 3D * Advanced 2D * Conforming Vectors * Rotary *C Machine *Rock Chuck

Yes they have, I believe it was either Joe or Michael posted what they were a long time ago.. I do not recall what they were.

EDIT: A quick search found this discussion.. https://forum.carvewright.com/showth...018#post208018
    Last edited by fwharris; 02-07-2021 at 12:31 PM.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Yes they have, I believe it was either Joe or Michael posted what they were a long time ago.. I do not recall what they were.

EDIT: A quick search found this discussion.. https://forum.carvewright.com/showth...018#post208018

Thanks!

Very interesting, I don't recall that thread, but it is going back a few years now.

I never have had much luck searching this forum, I even did a "site:" style search in Bing and still didn't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by spalted View Post
    Thanks!

Very interesting, I don't recall that thread, but it is going back a few years now.

I never have had much luck searching this forum, I even did a "site:" style search in Bing and still didn't find it.
    I don't think anything has changed with the machine operation since that post. Yes I used the "quote" marks for my search here in the forum search box. I believe I used "feed and speed" for the search topic. It brought up a page full of posts.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    I don't think anything has changed with the machine operation since that post. Yes I used the "quote" marks for my search here in the forum search box. I believe I used "feed and speed" for the search topic. It brought up a page full of posts.
    I always forget about the quotes.

Thanks!

You and AL and others have always been so helpful for years, I sure appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by spalted View Post
    Thank you very much AL!

I thought I recalled you posting about the bit speeds a years ago, but I couldn't find it, I sure appreciate the info!

Did you ever build a vacuum sled?
    I have a pump but I still haven't made the sled yet.
    I might just try the double sided tape for this project.

I've never routed FRP but I have routed extruded fiberglass, not on the Carvewright, but on big industrial routers.
    PCD or Polycrystalline Diamond bits have worked really well for that, but they are expensive but with the amount you do it might still be cost effective to use PCD.
    I am all talk and no action.... Did not build the Vacuum sled yet. Found 1/4 inch double stick tape made it easier, I was cutting 3/4 inch in strips so it is easier....

I still have not opened a path to my work shop with the Snow Blower after the 24 inches of snow... Hurt my Shoulder so I am healing.

Interesting take on Extruded Fiberglass.