Thread: STL import error

Default STL import error

Hello, I just purchased the STL importer and have been able do make several patterns. Today I keep getting the following error at the end of trying to save a file. Anybody have any ideas?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	88561

Floyd will chime in shortly but I believe you need to run the STL through a program to make it smaller first then use it in Designer.

And you would likely get a quicker reply on the Facebook page. Most of us have migrated to Facebook. I come back and look here every once in a while.

I belong to Club A and have a bunch of STL Files but have not done anything with them yet. Future Projects.

Here is a explination from Floyd in a PM to me talking about this.

"Note that a large majority of those club A stl files are HUGE in file size and dimensions of the object. They will need to be ran through the meshlab program to reduce the file so that it can be imported into designer with out it crashing."

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 12-30-2020 at 01:27 AM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Floyd will chime in shortly but I believe you need to run the STL through a program to make it smaller first then use it in Designer.

And you would likely get a quicker reply on the Facebook page. Most of us have migrated to Facebook. I come back and look here every once in a while.

I belong to Club A and have a bunch of STL Files but have not done anything with them yet. Future Projects.

Here is a explination from Floyd in a PM to me talking about this.

"Note that a large majority of those club A stl files are HUGE in file size and dimensions of the object. They will need to be ran through the meshlab program to reduce the file so that it can be imported into designer with out it crashing."

AL
    Al is correct on this one. Do a search here in the forum for "meshlab" and you should find the steps to take to reduce the file size so that you can import it it. Also increase the rendering cache size in Designer up to at least 256MB.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thanks guys, I will give it a try.