Thread: Jig - Issues 1st time

Default Jig - Issues 1st time

OK, so I am a newbee and I have successfully carved 6 or 7 patterns so far. This particular pattern I am satisfied with the test carvings on pine and now I want to carve this in oak. I have a piece of oak that is 12"L X 9.25" wide and 3/4" so I made up a jig to carve it so I don't waste any wood.

I put the oak in the jig (see picture), tried putting tape to hold the oak in place, when I load the pattern and it tries to measure the board, every time it measures it comes to the right end (see arrow in picture) that end goes to the end of the roller and it is still trying to measure past that. Setup is to stay under rollers and centered on board.

Any idea what the issue is?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jig - Copy.jpg  

Try saying NOT to stay under the rollers. You have the 7" rule built into your jig but the machine will measure to the very end of both 3 1/2 pieces. I use a jig like this all the time and always say not to stay under the rollers. I also say to center on board. Give that a try and report back.
    Also if you're on the internet look up Carvewright Carvaholics, seems that there are a lot more users using that today. Hate to say it but it's true.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Quote Originally Posted by CarverJerry View Post
    Try saying NOT to stay under the rollers. You have the 7" rule built into your jig but the machine will measure to the very end of both 3 1/2 pieces. I use a jig like this all the time and always say not to stay under the rollers. I also say to center on board. Give that a try and report back.
    Also if you're on the internet look up Carvewright Carvaholics, seems that there are a lot more users using that today. Hate to say it but it's true.
    AHHH, maybe that is the issue, I have been doing "stay under the rollers" but will give that a try!

I follow Carvewright Caraholics, GREAT page on FB. I do like the forums better, but like you say, people today like doing things on Social Media more than on the old school forums!