Thread: Cut path along arc is sometimes disabled

Default Cut path along arc is sometimes disabled

This is my first cut path along an arc so I don't know the normal behavior but I'm getting what seems to be an inconsistent ability to use the cut path tool. My radius is quite large (469.2) so maybe that's why? Anyway, I've tried on a 60x4" piece and on a 18x2.5" piece and both had the same issue whereas moving one point or the other to certain positions will cause cut path to light up. It is consistent in which points work and which don't, it just doesn't make sense why some do and some don't. For example, on the 18x2.5" piece I placed the arc from one end to the other and attached it to 0 left and right then the bottom attached at 2" works but any less does not. On the 60" piece, i wanted to stop the cut 3" short of the right end but that would cause it to disable cut path but attaching it at 0" to the right would work so I thought I'd just change my board length to 57" and keep it attached at 0" to the right but of course that then disabled it as well. Please tell me I'm missing something really stupid on my part and not that I have yet another reason to really hate this software... Thanks in advance for any help!

Cut Path tool can only be used on a closed path. ie circle, square, rectangle. For an arc, you would need to assign a cutting bit (Select Bit tool) or make sure your path is fully closed. Go to View > Toggle Non Endpoints to see where you missed the starburst.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Interesting... So are you saying it shouldn't have worked at all? I did manage to get my stuff cut doing it with the cut path along the arc path but I'll try the select bit tool. Are they essentially the same thing? Thanks for the quick response!

Quote Originally Posted by djkraz View Post
    Interesting... So are you saying it shouldn't have worked at all? I did manage to get my stuff cut doing it with the cut path along the arc path but I'll try the select bit tool. Are they essentially the same thing? Thanks for the quick response!
    If your arc connects to lines and is supposed to be a closed path, use Cut Path tool after you get it fully connected. Tabs are automatic.

If just arc, you can use Select bit, but there are no tabs to hold in place.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    If your arc connects to lines and is supposed to be a closed path, use Cut Path tool after you get it fully connected. Tabs are automatic.

If just arc, you can use Select bit, but there are no tabs to hold in place.
    To add tabs to a non closed path like a simple arc, break the path into segments (non connected lines). This will leave a tab/space between lines to hold things in place.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Maybe his cut path arc went across the board. A cut path must separate the board into two pieces. So, it has to either be a closed curve with an inside and an outside, or a cut across the board.