Thread: Errors carving Corian

Default Errors carving Corian

I'm looking for a little help from the brain trust here.
    I'm trying to carve/cut a project in 1/2 corian. I ran the whole project with 1/2 plywood and had no problems. The first attempt with the corian the 1/16 carving bit made 1 pass (almost) and it stopped and gave me a y axis stall Err05-0314. I tried again and the machine told me to clean my y rails. (smart machine) The carriage did seem to hang up a bit but after wiping down the rails and moving it by hand it seemed fine. Then It told me the front roller switch was hanging up. I knocked the rollers up a couple of times and that seemed fine. Now when I try I keep getting a tracking roller failed error, Err49-0331. The oring on the tracking roller seems to look ok so I'm stumped.
    I know it sounds like I have a dirty machine but I always use it with dust collection. In fact I just, and I mean just changed from the Dust Deputy to Floyds Ring Neck Blues collector that I had on a parts machine that I bought years ago used. MUCH better draw, love it Floyd.
    I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

are you using a sled? if not try putting masking tape on the bottom of the corian on the side where the tracking roller is. The tracking roller might be slipping on the corian.

Glad to hear you made the switch, thanks! With corian make sure you are using a good sharp clean bit. Even though you are using my attachment there will still be chips that get into the machine area. They do not compress like saw dust and can/will get caught up in the belts and stick to the rails and bearings. Mike's suggestion about using a sled is a good one.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I was not using a sled. I did have painters tape on the bottom but maybe that's too slippery. Otherwise I have Bergs universal sled and I can try that.

If I can get this to work I'll have to do a good cleaning.

Well the plain old making tape seemed to do the trick to fix the tracking roller problem but I think I learned something tonight.
    The colored corain that I was using was quite old, something that i had laying around for a while. When trying to carve it when the bit got near the edge it would chatter/stop and give me a message to clean the Y rails. (tried it twice).
    The center seemed to not have a problem. All I can think of is that over time it got harder on the edges, I put a piece of 1/2"plywood in and it works just fine. Oh well, it was just something that was a holder for something the shop and I though it would look better in black corian.

Thx for the feedback, I've got some corain that has age on it, will keep your experience in mind.
    Rick H

The machine has a feed rate setup for Wood and when you attempt to cut corain it is harder and much more difficult to cut so the machine is overwhelmed.

To give yourself the best shot I would change out the 2 Y gearbox bearings and check the Y shaft for wear at the plastic gear and use a new bit and make the shallowest cut you can.

It can be done but you are pushing the machine limits.

Good Luck
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com