Thread: New to CarveWright

1. Default New to CarveWright

Well to introduce myself I am trying to get into this and use this machine for the first time, back story my father had bought this machine several years ago and had never done anything with it (he purchased used), I had actually bought the memory card for it about 6 years ago but had no programmer or anything else, nothing ever happened and the machine was never used, my father passed 5 years ago and I got the machine but also never used it, a few months ago I got the idea that I need to do something with this and not let it go to waste, got the programmer, joined the site and here I am and have zero idea how to use this lol, I mean I have some idea but never used the software or anything, most everything I have ever done has been on photoshop. Sorry long story but the point is its time to learn and get it going.

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your Dad. Since you are just getting started you should begin with visiting the CW web site and their SUPPORT section. There you will find the Learning Guide, tutorial videos and so much more to get you up and carving. Below is the link. Here on the forum you will find information going back to 2006. When searching for a topic put "quote marks" around the subject. This will help narrow down the search process. Questions are always welcome.

If you are on FaceBook there is a CarveWright users group called Carveaholics. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1041312339227740/

http://support.carvewright.com/
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

3. Default

thanks I will do that, so as far as I can tell I have the old bit system, can you still get them? also I checked the machine and it has 4 hours of run time, the traction belts are broke so I ordered new ones today from a site someone here recommended, any tips, tricks, or helpful info is much appreciated.

Welcome, the quick change chuck is no longer supported by Carvewright. However there are many places to still get parts for the chuck and bits. I have a bunch that I have purchased over the years. However if you plan to keep and use the machine, I would recommend switching over to the Carvetite chuck. The quick change can cause many issues a person just dose not need. I have Carvetite in all my machines. The sandpaper belts can also be problematic. I have switched mine over to rubber belts. The accuracy is very much improved by these two upgrades. The machine itself from what I am reading has been sitting around suffering from no use abuse.This machine should be lube to help get it preforming. The four corner post should be lube with a good dry-lube. The drive cable should be lubed with a lube containing moly. It can be hard to find a grease containing moly that is thin enough to penetrate the cable. My work around for this is to thin the grease with lacquer thinner, so it penetrates the cable. Once the cable is lube up, let it sit for a bit to allow the thinner evaporate off The head pressure should be checked as well. You may have to open the clutch and lube it up. As time goes on you will get to know the machine. I find most tend to have a love-hate relationship with these machines as they can do some impressive things. Hope this helps a little and you enjoy your time with this machine. Enjoy carving, need anything, just ask, their are many folks here to help in anyway they can. Great place to hang out.

Quote Originally Posted by jdsmyth71 View Post
    thanks I will do that, so as far as I can tell I have the old bit system, can you still get them? also I checked the machine and it has 4 hours of run time, the traction belts are broke so I ordered new ones today from a site someone here recommended, any tips, tricks, or helpful info is much appreciated.
    This is a great place to get started... http://support.carvewright.com/
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.