Thread: Material and Method

Default Material and Method

I purchased a used router table, and am unable to find the proper rings for it. I only have the one that was on it (pictured).

I am hoping I can make new rings with my Carvewright. For material, I’m thinking UHMW Polyethylene. Is my Carvewright suitable for cutting it?

Any advice such as tool type, and method for carving this material would be appreciated.

Jim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	router ring.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	88320
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails router.jpg  

I have cutout many such parts out of cast acrylic and some of UHMW. I suggest you use a short shank, two flute bit like in the link.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Yonico-2...0-SC/306082859

bergerud Thank you for the quick reply. I ordered that bit. Looking forward to my first attempt at carving UHMW Polyethylene.

My suggestion is to use a carrier board. And double stick tape the material down. Make your vector lines and assign the 1/4 inch round nose bit. Actually load the 1/8 inch or the bit posted above. This lies to the machine and it will keep the feed rate in 1st gear. If you did a Cut Path it uses 2 feed speeds, the slowest on corners. My experience with 2nd gear is that it is too fast for plastic. I cut FRP Plastic tags but I use a 1/16th Circuit Board end mill bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC05437_WEB.jpg   Flip 2.jpg   DSC05348_WEB.jpg   DSC02590_WEB.jpg  

DSC01454_WEB.jpg   DSC02306_WEB.jpg   DSC09390_WEB.jpg   DSC09393_WEB.jpg  

Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 05-03-2020 at 11:08 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    My suggestion is to use a carrier board. And double stick tape the material down. Make your vector lines and assign the 1/4 inch round nose bit. Actually load the 1/8 inch or the bit posted above. This lies to the machine and it will keep the feed rate in 1st gear. If you did a Cut Path it uses 2 feed speeds, the slowest on corners. My experience with 2nd gear is that it is too fast for plastic. I cut FRP Plastic tags but I use a 1/16th Circuit Board end mill bit.
    Thank you for the advice about controlling feed rate.