Thread: Y-axis jogs left a few times as truck travels right toward bit finder tab

Default Y-axis jogs left a few times as truck travels right toward bit finder tab

When the truck (Y-axis) is traveling to the right side of the machine to identify bit, it jogs back left two or three times before continuing right to hit the bit tab. This reversing also happens as the truck returns to home position.
    My carvings are good. Any ideas why?

It might be loosing the Y position or feeling some resistance. Make sure the Y rail and bearings are clean and lubed. http://support.carvewright.com/clean...y-and-z-rails/

Check the Y gear box and bearings to see if the bearings might need replacing. If the white pulley gear flexes side to side that is a good indication that the back bearing in the gear box is bad.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Floyd is right. The most common failure is the Y Gearbox Bearings. Then the big gear in the shaft leans toward the center of the machine and the big plastic gear rubs on the U shaped machine frame cut out causing resistance to movement and the head reverses to try to clear it... OR a Dirty Encoder....

If you are not a member there are 2 Facebook Pages. Lots of pictures about this and Tim sells a replacement shaft if your bearings have worn the shaft thin.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00488_WEB.jpg   DSC00486_WEB.jpg   DSC09644_WEB.jpg   DSC07746_WEB_WEB.jpg  

DSC06551_WEB.jpg   DSC06552_WEB.jpg   DSC06541_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

If the machine is behaving erratically during the start up, it may simply be a software issue. Have you tried re-formatting and re-flashing the card?

Good one.... That may be it too....
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Default Y Gearbox Bearings Seems Bad...Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Floyd is right. The most common failure is the Y Gearbox Bearings. Then the big gear in the shaft leans toward the center of the machine and the big plastic gear rubs on the U shaped machine frame cut out causing resistance to movement and the head reverses to try to clear it... OR a Dirty Encoder....

If you are not a member there are 2 Facebook Pages. Lots of pictures about this and Tim sells a replacement shaft if your bearings have worn the shaft thin.

AL
    I checked gearbox and the large white gear does move side to side. How do I contact Tim?

I thank everyone for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by sundog2001 View Post
    I checked gearbox and the large white gear does move side to side. How do I contact Tim?

I thank everyone for the advice.
    I would first take out the Y motor and gear box to verify that the bearings are bad and if the shaft shows any wear signs. You can order replacement bearings at this link or from other places like Amazon or even a local hobby shop bearing supply house. https://www.vxb.com/685ZZ-5x11x5-Shi...0-p/kit768.htm

To reach Tim you might have better luck in the FB group Carvaholics.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.