Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What simple patterns would you like to see?

Oscar,
    Wow, thank you for the help, I will be carving it, but not until I can get this Cleveland weather to warm up enough to get my machine out into the unheated garage. When completed, I will post pics, and thanks again...
    Gary
    3D Pro Ver. 3.103 Build 14, STL & DXF Importer, Rotary, Conforming Vectors, Centerline- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz 4GB Ram 64 bit Operating System using Windows 7

Gary, you are welcome. I do have a some minor concerns with my design. Let me know if the opening has to be rounder.

I am not familiar with bird houses but what I quickly read was as long as it was roundish it should work but I've never done one like this before.

I like the idea of using for bird houses, that was my first idea when I saw the pattern. How ever making houses for sparrows is not a good idea as they are an evasive species in this country and are unprotected in most states. Traps are made to help rid areas of these birds. I have feeders I can not use do to sparrows taking over. They take over all the houses we put out. I'm planning to build a trap this spring to help rid my area of these pests. I have a starling trap out now hoping to get rid of a few of those as well as they look for a nesting site.

Oscar,
    I don’t think the size will be a problem. Hopefully, I will be able to carve this soon.
    Mugsowner,
    Im sorry for the problems you have with the different bird species. I do have probably 6-7 houses in our front tree, and yes they are all occupied by sparrows, but my wife and I both enjoy watching their antics during the seasons. I did not realize folks had problems with them. I hope your traps work and your able to rid yourself of them.
    Gary
    3D Pro Ver. 3.103 Build 14, STL & DXF Importer, Rotary, Conforming Vectors, Centerline- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz 4GB Ram 64 bit Operating System using Windows 7

I could use a Black Hawk Ice Hockey Pattern for my stepgrand daughter!!!!! Thank You Oscarl 48!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Koval View Post
    Oscar,
    I don’t think the size will be a problem. Hopefully, I will be able to carve this soon.
    Mugsowner,
    Im sorry for the problems you have with the different bird species. I do have probably 6-7 houses in our front tree, and yes they are all occupied by sparrows, but my wife and I both enjoy watching their antics during the seasons. I did not realize folks had problems with them. I hope your traps work and your able to rid yourself of them.
    Gary
    I never stated I had a problem with different bird species. I stated that sparrows and now starlings are a problem for this country as they both are evasive. As far as all your houses full of them, I would expect that as they kill all other species that try to live in the area. Look them up they are not good to have around. The northern part of this state does not have many sparrows or starlings for some reason and my houses and feeders up that way are full of many different species of birds that really add to the enjoyment up that way. You may house and feed sparrows, but don't expect any other type birds to enjoy. if you try to make the area more appealing to others types, they will rid the area of them. I feed and enjoy birds. I have a feeder pole design up in the northern woods that is bear proof, squirrel proof, deer proof, and holds over 50 pounds of seed, 16 suet cakes, 4 water stations, and places for a few other treats such as meal worms. I enjoy watching birds, but don't want to invite them in just to have them wiped out.There are evasive species of many type in this country. Just go to a boat landing and see what they are doing to help slow down these problems.

Mugsowner,
    I am sorry if I came off wrong with you having problems with different bird species, my bad, it won’t happen... I like our sparrows they are not a problem for me and my wife as individuals. I do not wish to offend anyone here especially bird enthusiasts.

All good, I just would like folks to know what these birds are capable of and the issues they create.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugsowner View Post
    All good, I just would like folks to know what these birds are capable of and the issues they create.
    Didn't realize there was such a difference in what was local species. We've had both the sparrow and the starling all my life along with the purple grackle. The starling and grackle are a pain around the feeders guess we're so used to the sparrow we only fight them to keep them out of purple martin houses. Could are 'global warming; be bringing them to your area? Would like to know if you find a way to keep the starlings away.
    Rick H

Quote Originally Posted by want2b View Post
    Didn't realize there was such a difference in what was local species. We've had both the sparrow and the starling all my life along with the purple grackle. The starling and grackle are a pain around the feeders guess we're so used to the sparrow we only fight them to keep them out of purple martin houses. Could are 'global warming; be bringing them to your area? Would like to know if you find a way to keep the starlings away.
    Rick H
    There are a couple traps that can be built for starlings. Now is the time to use them as they are nesting traps. You can pm me and we can look at this further, I do not want to steal Oscar's post.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast