Thread: Angle help

Default Angle help

OK, this is driving me crazy. If someone could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it. Please do not just fix it for me because I need to make several of these with different dimension. Instructions would be greatly appreciated.

If you look at my mpc file, I have an extension I want to be at a 17-degree angle (93 and 107⁰ respectfully) from the box on the left. I can change the angle to the preferred angle but then it moves the line that is attached to the extension line not just the extension line. (Snap is off.) Yes, it does change the angle but now it has moved the wrong leg. It also changes the length of the line attached to the other end of the wrong leg that moved. Now I tried to change the length of the changed line back to the original length. But that moved the far line it was attached to making the left box out of square. Once I obtain the right angles, I would like to join the right end of the two extension lines to be able to create a cut path. Please tell me how to correct this project. I have put a circle around the angles referred to. I wouldn’t care if I have to start over if that accomplishes the correct results. All suggestions would be appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I do not have 3, so I can not open your mpc, however reading what you have here makes me ask, are the lines copies of each other. I notice that copied or mirrored parts of a carve tend to stay as one. Meaning you change one the other follows suit.

I played with this a little bit the other day. I "think" part of the problem is the restraints that you have pre set. Maybe try doing the angles first with the lengths close to what you want and then draw/include the rest of the design. After that then maybe getting the size/lengths can be done.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Maybe try doing the angles first with the lengths close to what you want and then draw/include the rest of the design. After that then maybe getting the size/lengths can be done.
    After my frustration and posting last night I thought about it and this morning did pretty much as you said. I went to autosketch and drew two lines at the angle and distance I needed. I then measured the distance at the end of the line so I would know the length to start at. (The parallel distance was what was important to me.) I started with a vertical line in designer in the middle with the length I needed then centered it vertically. I turned off snap. Attaching to the very first line. I the drew the angled lines for the the extension. Now I deleted the first line I started with. I turned snap back on. This left the two angled lines hanging out to the right. Starting with the top angled line I drew my rectangle off to the left side until I could join the rectangle to the lower angled line. Next I fine tuned the angles of the angled lines and set their length. Drawing a line joining the two lines connected everything together so I could create a cut path.

I hope this helps someone else out.

I missed upload on the previous post. Here is the file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

It looks a lot better, glad you were able to work through this.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.