Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recover a project after breaking a bit???

Here's a picture of the carve when the bit broke. I can't abandon it, it's got too much potential. I'll find a way to finish the carve. Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

This is a piece of birch btw. It machines really nice. I like working with birch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CW LP Top2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	88107

You can see the profile CW is carving in this shot. That's 98% of the reason I bought one of these things.

Yes way to much done to let it go. As Dale and I have instructed. Modify your design by drawing a rectangle over the area that has been carved. Leave the rectangle just short of where it stopped. Next make the rectangle a carve region and change the depth to zero 0.000. When you do this it hides what has been carved. Re save the project and upload it to the card. Start the modified project on the machine. It is best IMO to try to put the board back into the machine as close as possible to the position you did when you first stated it. Chances are part of the carved area will be under the cutting truck and board sensor. If so place a strip or 2 of masking tape across the board so that the board sensor will read it as the board. Once the width measurement is done you can remove the tape.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Wow that looks nice and I can see why you don't want to give up one that one. Hope it works out for you and post a picture when you get it done. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Wow that looks nice and I can see why you don't want to give up one that one. Hope it works out for you and post a picture when you get it done. Good luck!
    Thanks
    It is birch so it would smell great in the fireplace, but I just can't do it. I'll fool the machine into finishing what it started. There's no great detail there, so as long as it comes out close, I can fix it up any mistakes with a rasp and sandpaper.

Good luck. I've only had to do this twice and both times it was close. Hopefully same for you.

And for the record, the broken bit was 100% my fault. This wood is almost as hard as maple, and I was worried about the 1/16 carving bit breaking. So I put in the 1/8 carving it........without taking the the time to read that the 1/8 carving bit is only recommended for soft materials and foam. Oops.
    Now I'm using the 3/16 carving for all the harder woods.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12