Thread: Need help sizing wheels please.

1. Default Need help sizing wheels please.

I'm trying to size some roller wheels for our roll cutter, the inner diameter needs to be 2-1/2" and the outer diameter needs to be 3-1/4". I can't buy these anymore because the company went out of business years ago. I'm cutting them out of 3/4" HDPE (a hard white plastic)

Every time I make them in the program and then cut them they're always different sizes!! I'm using the circle tool and then sizing the inner one to 2.500 and then drawing another circle to 3.250 and I flip the outer one so it will cut on the outside of the line I'm using the cut path tool also and cutting at a depth of 1/8" per pass. is this not the way i'm supposed to be doing this?

Any help you can provide would be of much help.

Thanks, Chuck.

Are you using an offset or inset? The bit cuts the middle of the path. Depending on the bit size, the 1/8" bit would need a .062 inset on the inner and a ,062 offset on the outer. How well does the HDPE cut?

I deleted your other 2 posts on this subject. Please refrain from asking the same question multiple times.

When setting your paths do one circle at a time. Zoom in real close to view what the "flip cut" does for moving the path. The large circle should have the path on the outside of the line and the small one on the inside.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

4. Default

I didn't realize the bit cut on the center of the line, I was making each circle separate and was flipping the outer circle and leaving the inner one alone so I'll try offsetting them per your suggestions and the HDPE cuts pretty well, it doesn't melt it like you would think. I tried to cut them with my co2 laser but it just melted it and filled in the cut right behind the laser. This material holds up pretty good on our roll cutter the set that came on the cutter were well over 10 years old and they got beat up every day with pipe up to 4" x 24' shh-40 pieces.

Thank you so much for your help and if I can ever do anything to help you out just send me a message, I have a laser engraver using corel draw and I also have a large plasma cutting table that uses plasmacam software. so if you have any q's just shout.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugsowner View Post
    Are you using an offset or inset? The bit cuts the middle of the path. Depending on the bit size, the 1/8" bit would need a .062 inset on the inner and a ,062 offset on the outer. How well does the HDPE cut?
    He is using the Cut Path tool. The Cut Path tool does not cut along the centerline; it defaults to inside the closed path and can be flipped to outside. From your description chuckles 2153 it sounds like you are doing it right. When you say "Every time I make them in the program and then cut them they're always different sizes!!" does that mean you get a different diameter each time, or consistently the same incorrect diameter? How far off is your result?