Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Adventures in guitar making

Got all of us hooked and waiting, don't want to put any pressure on but: Nice to see what can be done by somebody with talent.
    Rick H

Quote Originally Posted by want2b View Post
    Got all of us hooked and waiting, don't want to put any pressure on but: Nice to see what can be done by somebody with talent.
    Rick H
    Talent? If you want to see talent, check out the golf cart thread by DickB

Here's how she sits right now. Spray, find the imperfections, sand, & spray again.......black is always a pain
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steampunk Strat4.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	88211

Amazing how much time the finish can take. Took a sec to realize part of what I saw was obviously tape. Do you use enamel or lacquer?
    You're right in that black does show everything.
    Rick H

The finishing takes way longer than the making sawdust part of any build.
    I use a water base lacquer, with dye added to make the colour. It's called Emtec 6000 I believe. It burns (melts) into the previous coat just like real lacquer. Polishes up real nice too.
    I used a spray bomb for the gold.

I hung onto traditional lacquer for a long time, until one day I finally got the air/fuel mixture just right in the shop and watched a "woof" (flame front) travel from the furnace to where I had just finished spraying. That was it for me. And after experiencing hot water cleanup of my gun, there was no going back. No fumes, no 5 gal pail of "gun wash" sitting around, no nasty thinners.

Still using traditional, might have to look into that as I do worry about the flammability and hate the cleanup.
    Thx, Rick H

well, after repeated sprays & sandings, I finally got the black looking perfect. I peeled off the masking tape over the gold "gear" section........to find out the gold/black look absolutely horrible together. The gold has got to go. Has anybody seen my roll of masking tape?

It's just like kids. Sometimes one just isn't as cute as rest. That's the one that you love more.

Ugly but lovable. lol

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234